Summary of the fundamental equations/laws

• I
  • Thread starter JoePhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary, the conversation is about T-shirt designs with proper formulas, specifically the fundamental equations and laws of physics such as Newton's laws, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, Maxwell's equations, the laws of thermodynamics, Schrödinger's equation, and Einstein's field equations for general relativity. Suggestions for additional equations include Dirac's equation, Navier-Stokes for fluid flow, the ideal gas law, Stefan-Boltzmann, and Emmy Noether's theorem. The conversation also mentions that the T-shirt is a normal or large size.
JoePhysics
Hey, all!

So, a friend of mine recently bought a shirt with a bunch of random, nonsensical formulas on them and it kind of seemed odd to me. So I had an idea for a T-shirt design with proper formulas... The basic, fundamental equations and laws of physics as we know them now.

So far I have Newton's laws, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, Maxwell's equations, the laws of thermodynamics, Schrödinger's equation and Einstein's field equations for general relativity.

What else am I missing? What are the most general principles or equation(s) in QFT/QED?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dirac's equation. Navier-Stokes for fluid flow? Is the ideal gas law too trivial? Stefan-Boltzmann? (What size is this tee-shirt?)

Likes JoePhysics
John Park said:
Dirac's equation. Navier-Stokes for fluid flow? Is the ideal gas law too trivial? Stefan-Boltzmann? (What size is this tee-shirt?)
Oh, Dirac's equation may be a good idea! Navier-Stokes is indeed important but not fundamental in the sense that it's conservation of linear momentum for a continuous medium coupled with the constitutive equation for a Newtonian and incompressible fluid; same for ideal gas law, it can be derived, and Stefan-Boltzmann can be derived from integrating Planck's law.

And I guess this is a normal-sized T-shirt? I don't know, maybe large size? :oldbiggrin:

How about Emmy Noether's theorem: A statement about symmetries of differential equation is the most fundamental subject I can think about, because it carries the way we try to understand nature: by symmetries and dynamics.

Likes JoePhysics
fresh_42 said:
How about Emmy Noether's theorem: A statement about symmetries of differential equation is the most fundamental subject I can think about, because it carries the way we try to understand nature: by symmetries and dynamics.
That is a very good point!

Related to Summary of the fundamental equations/laws

1. What are the fundamental equations or laws in science?

The fundamental equations or laws in science are a set of mathematical relationships that describe the fundamental principles of the natural world. These laws are used to explain and predict the behavior of physical phenomena, and are considered to be the building blocks of scientific knowledge.

2. What is the difference between an equation and a law?

An equation is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between different variables, while a law is a fundamental principle that has been repeatedly verified by experiments and observations. In other words, an equation is a specific instance of a law, and laws are more general and universal.

3. Can fundamental equations or laws change?

No, fundamental equations or laws are considered to be constant and unchanging. They are based on extensive research and observations, and any changes to these laws would require significant evidence and confirmation from the scientific community.

4. How are fundamental equations or laws used in science?

Fundamental equations or laws are used in science to understand and explain the behavior of natural phenomena. They are also used to make predictions and calculations, and to guide further research and experimentation.

5. Are there different types of fundamental equations or laws?

Yes, there are different types of fundamental equations or laws in science, including laws of motion, laws of thermodynamics, laws of electromagnetism, and laws of gravity. These laws govern different aspects of the natural world and are interconnected to provide a comprehensive understanding of the universe.