The Possibility and Potential Implications of Cold Fusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of cold fusion and its implications. The main obstacle for cold fusion is overcoming the repulsion of like particles, as fusion reactions typically require a significant amount of heat. Manipulating particles below the nuclear level is necessary for cold fusion to occur, but this is currently not feasible. The idea of using alpha particles for energy generation is also questioned. Some individuals have claimed to have successfully achieved cold fusion, but these claims have not been successfully reproduced. The concept of "cold fusion" is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community.

Do you think cold fusion will become a reality?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Possibly

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Alsolutely not

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Jack
Do you think that cold fusion is posible?

Also, if it is what would some of the implications of this be, how would it change our world?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most obvious obstical to overcome would be the repulsion of like particles. The reason fusion is hot to begin with is because fusion reactions don't happen unless there is enough kinetic energy to get the protons close enough to fuse. Now if you could get crafty and have two neutrons come together then somehow get them to decay at the same time into protons, electrons, and (ok I always forget this part but I think its a muon or a pion or something-on), this may work. Because the there is no em repulsion between two neutrons, thus you wouldn't need all of that kinetic energy which basically translates to heat.

Of course this means manipulating things below the nuclear level and I just don't think it can be done (with what we know today).

The intense heat needed for a fusion reaction is the main reason a fission reaction is used to ignite a nuclear explosion.

Also, it could be possible for cold-fussion to be really cold-fission, or even just cold-alpha. I find more likely for coldfussioners to be able to get some cold alpha radiation, perhaps due to some solid-state effect.

With the understanding that the end result is to generate energy for consumption I don't understand why you would want to deal with alpha particles. What energy is that going to generate?

Originally posted by arivero
Also, it could be possible for cold-fussion to be really cold-fission, or even just cold-alpha. I find more likely for coldfussioners to be able to get some cold alpha radiation, perhaps due to some solid-state effect.
I have no idea what you just said.
(ok I always forget this part but I think its a muon or a pion or something-on)
neutron -> proton + electron + anti-electron-neutrino
Now if you could get crafty and have two neutrons come together
This is very possible -- you can get deuterons this way. However, you're missing a big piece of the puzzle:

Where do we get all of those free neutrons?

The answer: we'd have to make them, investing energy. The best we could then hope to do is to get the energy back. Hydrogen (or deuteron) fusion, however, makes use of particles we already have in relative abundance -- we're just coaxing them over an activation energy hill and using the released energy.

- Warren

What is the best way to describe cold fusion as oposed to normal fusion?

chroot, I was referring to the original Fleishmann-Pons experiment. They got some helium, a bit of extra energy and some traces of gamma radiation in a very random manner. All that could fit also with an (unknown) catalisis of alpha disintegration, instead of an (unknown) catalisis of nuclear fusion.

FrankM, yep, such thing could not be useful direcly for energy production. But cheap transmutation implies a disposal method for usual radioactive waste, for instance.

The problem with the original Fleishmann-Pons experiment was that no-one could reproduce the results that they were claiming.

As far as the cold fusion question goes ... it depends upon what you regard as cold fusion i.e. a useful level of power production or not. One possiblity could be Single Bubble sonoluminescence ... but you aren't going to get much energy from a single bubble :smile:

Zvonko Maric

Maric was said to have a running reaction using lithium instead of deuterium.

En juin 2001 s’est tenue à Weinfeld (Suisse) une conférence internationale sur les nouvelles énergies, qui a réuni 200 scientifiques de tous horizons.
L’un des principaux intervenants, le professeur Jean-Pierre Vigier, y a exposé les travaux sur la fusion à froid, menés par le professeur Zvonko Maric, chef du département de physique de l’Université de Belgrade.

Vigier, JP: he defended cold fussion back in 1994, I bet he was influential to get F&P going into France. Vigier is a strange old man. He is DeBroglie's "scientific son". He was commisioned to develop the pilot wave theory, which he dis jointly with infamous Bohm; initially he was supossed to work in Princeton with Einstein, but he was linked -just as Bohm, or because of it?- with communism, so he was "witchhunted".

There are very used to strange physics research. Back in the fifties, they also developed Hestenes theory (yep, before Hestenes). Funny people. Anyway they are influential enough to keep publishing in refereed journals. For instance Dragic A, Maric Z, Vigier JP; Phys. Lett. A 265 (2000) 163. "New quantum mechanical tight bound states and 'cold fusion'".

As for Z. Maric, I have no ide if he is related to Mileva Maric. I have read that Mileva's family was a well-accommodated one in Zagrev.

"Cold fusion" is a contradiction in terms. It is not possible.

Depends on your definition of cold fusion

Cold fusion is absolutely possible. All because it is virually impossible.

1. What is cold fusion?

Cold fusion is a hypothesized type of nuclear reaction that occurs at or near room temperature, without the need for extreme heat or pressure. It is often described as the fusion of two light atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

2. Is cold fusion possible?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of cold fusion. Many studies have been conducted in an attempt to replicate the results of the original 1989 cold fusion experiment, but none have been successful. As a result, the majority of the scientific community considers cold fusion to be highly unlikely and not possible.

3. What are the potential benefits of cold fusion?

If cold fusion were possible, it could potentially provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy, as it would produce significantly less nuclear waste and have no harmful emissions. It could also greatly reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and help combat climate change.

4. Why is there still interest in cold fusion?

Despite the lack of scientific evidence, there is still interest in cold fusion because of its potential benefits and the possibility that it could be a revolutionary source of energy. Some scientists continue to study and research cold fusion in the hopes of finding a way to make it a viable source of energy.

5. What is the current status of cold fusion research?

Cold fusion research is ongoing, but it is not a widely accepted or well-funded field of study. Many scientists and institutions are skeptical of its potential and therefore do not prioritize it in their research. However, there are still some researchers and organizations dedicated to studying and understanding cold fusion, and new experiments and theories continue to emerge.