Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Sum with Binomial Coefficients

VincentP

Feb 17, 2012
I'm having trouble proving the following identity (I don't even know if it's true):
$$\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\binom{n-1}{k-1}$$ $$\forall n,k \in \mathbb{N} : n>k$$
Thank you in advance for any help!
Vincent

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I'm having trouble proving the following identity (I don't even know if it's true):
$$\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\binom{n-1}{k-1}$$ $$\forall n,k \in \mathbb{N} : n>k$$
Vincent
Maybe expanding the binomial coefficients would help. Recall that $ \displaystyle {n\choose{m}} = \frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!} $

VincentP

Feb 17, 2012
Maybe expanding the binomial coefficients would help. Recall that $ \displaystyle {n\choose{m}} = \frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!} $
Well I have tried that of course:
$$ \sum_{r=1}^k \frac{k!}{r!(k-r)!} \frac{(n-k-1)!}{(r-1)!(n-k-r)!} \stackrel{?}{=} \frac{(n-1)!}{(k-1)!(n-k)!} $$
But I don't know where to go from here since I still can't sum the left hand side. I also tried to prove it by induction but I failed to prove the induction step.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Vincent
Hi Vincent, :)

Thank you for submitting this problem, I enjoyed solving it. :)

Since, \(\binom{k}{r}=\binom{k}{k-r}\) we have,

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{r=1}^{k}\binom{k}{k-r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}\]

Using the Pascal's rule we get,

\begin{eqnarray}

\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}&=&\sum_{r=1}^{k}\left[{k+1 \choose k-r+1}-{k \choose k-r+1}\right]\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}\\

&=&\sum_{r=1}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-r+1}\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}-\sum_{r=1}^{k}{k \choose k-r+1}\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}\\

\end{eqnarray}

Now use the Vandermonde's identity to get,

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}={n \choose k}-\binom{n-1}{k}\]

Using the Pascal's rule again we get,

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}={n-1 \choose k-1}\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
For a completely different, combinatorial, way to look at this problem, suppose that you have $n-1$ objects, and you want to select $k-1$ of them. There are $n-1\choose k-1$ ways of making the selection.

Now suppose that $k$ of the objects are white, and the remaining $(n-1)-k$ are black. Then another way to select $k-1$ objects is as follows. First, choose a number $r$ between 1 and $k$ (inclusive). Then select $r-1$ black balls and $(k-1)-(r-1) = k-r$ white balls. The number of ways to do that is ${k\choose k-r}{(n-1)-k\choose r-1} = {k\choose r}{n-k-1\choose r-1}.$ Sum that from $r=1$ to $k$ to get the total number of ways to select $k-1$ objects.

VincentP

Feb 17, 2012
@ Sudharaka
Thank you very much for your explanation!
I have one question though: Doesn't Vandermonde's identity require the sum to start at r=0?

@Opalg
Thank you for your reply, that's a very interesting approach to the problem!

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
@ Sudharaka
Thank you very much for your explanation!
I have one question though: Doesn't Vandermonde's identity require the sum to start at r=0?

@Opalg
Thank you for your reply, that's a very interesting approach to the problem!
You are welcome. :) I have neglected an in between step that may have aroused the confusion.

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{r=1}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-r+1}\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}-\sum_{r=1}^{k}{k \choose k-r+1}\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}\]

Substitute \(u=r-1\). Then the right hand side becomes,

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}\]

I hope this clarifies your doubts. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

VincentP

Feb 17, 2012
You are welcome. :) I have neglected an in between step that may have aroused the confusion.

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{r=1}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-r+1}\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}-\sum_{r=1}^{k}{k \choose k-r+1}\binom{n-k-1}{r-1}\]

Substitute \(u=r-1\). Then the right hand side becomes,

\[\sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}\]

I hope this clarifies your doubts. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
Well not quite.
If you substitute the index of summation $ u=r-1 $ you have to change the lower as well as the upper bound of summation, because otherwise you change the number of summands. Therefore if you substitute $ u=r-1 $ we get:
$$ \sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u} $$ Which doesn't match Vandermonde's Identity anymore, because the upper bound of summation doesn't appear in the lower index of the binomial coefficant.

Kind Regards,
Vincent

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Well not quite.
If you substitute the index of summation $ u=r-1 $ you have to change the lower as well as the upper bound of summation, because otherwise you change the number of summands. Therefore if you substitute $ u=r-1 $ we get:
$$ \sum_{r=1}^k \binom{k}{r} \binom{n-k-1}{r-1}=\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u} $$ Which doesn't match Vandermonde's Identity anymore, because the upper bound of summation doesn't appear in the lower index of the binomial coefficant.

Kind Regards,
Vincent
Note that,

\[\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}=\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}\]

since when \(u=k\) the right hand side is equal to zero. If you have any more questions about this please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

VincentP

Feb 17, 2012
Note that,

\[\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k-1}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}=\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k+1 \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}-\sum_{u=0}^{k}{k \choose k-u}\binom{n-k-1}{u}\]

since when \(u=k\) the right hand side is equal to zero. If you have any more questions about this please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
I think that clarifies everything, thanks so much.
Vincent

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012