Sum of two slater determinants

In summary: What I meant was that I'm not quite sure what kind of system/situation you'd have to need/want to form the sum of two Slater-determinant wavefunctions. It'd mean the two Hamiltonians are independent. So why merge them?
wdlang
a slater determinant gives an asymmetric wave function for fermions

is the inverse right?

i.e., can the wave function of some fermions always be written in the form a slater determinant?

To make things concret, can the sum of two slater determinants be put into the form of a new slater determinant?

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess if all the orbits in the two slater determinants are orthogonal to each other, then the sum of the two can be put into a new slater determinant.

wdlang said:
i.e., can the wave function of some fermions always be written in the form a slater determinant?

Yes.

To make things concret, can the sum of two slater determinants be put into the form of a new slater determinant?

The product, yes. The sum, no, because it's not necessarily antisymmetric any more to begin with.
I'm not sure why you'd want to form a sum of two different wavefunctions though.

If it is expressed in product form of orbitals, a general anti-symmetric wave function could be written as a linear combination of slater determinants. This will normally mess up the total spin of the particles, but you get anti-symmetry which is good. For N particles you have 2^N spinor (anti-symmetric) eigen states to take a linear combination of.

per.sundqvist said:
If it is expressed in product form of orbitals, a general anti-symmetric wave function could be written as a linear combination of slater determinants. This will normally mess up the total spin of the particles, but you get anti-symmetry which is good. For N particles you have 2^N spinor (anti-symmetric) eigen states to take a linear combination of.

Hmm sorry, I meant that a single slater determinant does not necessary preserve the total spin eigenstate, but that you can obtain such if you take a proper linear combination of the slater determinants (alpha, beta spinor functions). Generally you don't need Slater determinants to obtain anti-symmetry, but it could be easier. Also, there exist cases where you could find exact solutions of the two-electron wave function (harmonic oscillator) which is not of the slater product form, but F(r)*G(R) (center of mass R, and relative coordinate r). Clearly this cannot be decomposed into slater functions. It is also common to use extended sums of Slater orbitals in order to reduce the correlation problem.

per.sundqvist said:
Hmm sorry, I meant that a single slater determinant does not necessary preserve the total spin eigenstate, but that you can obtain such if you take a proper linear combination of the slater determinants (alpha, beta spinor functions). Generally you don't need Slater determinants to obtain anti-symmetry, but it could be easier. Also, there exist cases where you could find exact solutions of the two-electron wave function (harmonic oscillator) which is not of the slater product form, but F(r)*G(R) (center of mass R, and relative coordinate r). Clearly this cannot be decomposed into slater functions. It is also common to use extended sums of Slater orbitals in order to reduce the correlation problem.

Yes, thank you for your good example.

It is a shame that i do not understand you well

alxm said:
Yes.

The product, yes. The sum, no, because it's not necessarily antisymmetric any more to begin with.
I'm not sure why you'd want to form a sum of two different wavefunctions though.

If the sum of two different slater determinant can be made into the form of a single slater determinant, it is a desirable thing, isn't it?

wdlang said:
If the sum of two different slater determinant can be made into the form of a single slater determinant, it is a desirable thing, isn't it?

What I meant was that I'm not quite sure what kind of system/situation you'd have to need/want to form the sum of two Slater-determinant wavefunctions. It'd mean the two Hamiltonians are independent. So why merge them?

Related to Sum of two slater determinants

1. What is a Slater determinant?

A Slater determinant is a mathematical construct used in quantum mechanics to describe the wave function of a system of particles. It represents the antisymmetrized combination of single-particle wave functions, which takes into account the quantum nature of particles.

2. How is the sum of two Slater determinants calculated?

The sum of two Slater determinants is calculated by adding the individual coefficients of the single-particle wave functions for each determinant. The resulting wave function is a linear combination of the two determinants, and can be used to describe more complex systems of particles.

3. What is the significance of the sum of two Slater determinants?

The sum of two Slater determinants is significant because it allows for the description of systems with more than one configuration, such as excited states or systems with multiple spin states. It also allows for the inclusion of electron correlation effects, which are crucial for accurate calculations in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the sum of two Slater determinants relate to the Hartree-Fock method?

The Hartree-Fock method is a commonly used approach in quantum mechanics to calculate the ground state of a system. It can be seen as a special case of the sum of two Slater determinants, where the two determinants are identical and represent the same configuration of particles. This simplification allows for a more efficient calculation of the ground state energy.

5. Can the sum of two Slater determinants be used for all systems?

The sum of two Slater determinants is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, but it is not applicable to all systems. It is most commonly used for systems with a fixed number of particles and a well-defined spin state, such as atoms and molecules. It can also be extended to larger systems by using multiple Slater determinants, but the computational cost increases significantly with the number of determinants.