Freezing Light: Exploring the Possibilities and Limitations

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: In the experiment, the photons were bouncing around between two parallel mirrors, which were coated with rubidium atoms. The rubidium atoms absorb and reemit the photons, effectively slowing them down. This creates a low energy state, which is what the researchers were trying to achieve. They were able to create an atmospheric vacuum on the order of 10^-14 atmospheres with a temperature of 10^-3 degrees Kelvin. The paper mentions the use of a laser source, possibly sodium, to inject light into the vacuum. If there is enough interest, the researcher may provide more specifics about the experiment. This research is significant because it shows the ability to slow down light, although not completely stopping it, which has implications for understanding the relationship between
Science news on Phys.org
ok, so that's odd.. any suggestions on how they did it?

All of this data is off the top of my head, I claim no precision in any way. The experiment created atmospheric vacuum on the order of [tex] 10^{-14} atmospheres [/tex] with temp on the order of [tex] 10^{-3} [/tex]degrees Kelvin. In other words at the time of the experiment the area created was the coldest and most vacuous place in the known universe. Again if memory serves me correctly - the paper came across my desk at my office, I am away for the holidays - a laser source(possibly sodium?) injected the light, and which became trapped in the area emitting a reddish-orange colour appearing wafer-like. If enough interest is expressed I would ring up back to my office and provide more specifics.

bluehadron_colour

Edited the LaTex to correct exponents.
Integral

Last edited by a moderator:
How does one DEFINE "temperature" in a vacuum?

[thanks for latex editing, infra]

Temperature ( perhaps we might need to just stick to numbers here, not "word definitions" as such since they cause this sort of confusion) is a function of the (integral) sum of kinetic energy; and since there is no absolute zero nor total vacuum, merely the ability to remove increasingly smaller volumes totals of the energy of a closed system/carnot which requires increasingly larger portions of energy. Classical mechanics can describe this well.

Expression in terms of percentage of Kelvin etc is appropriate much the same as velocity is expressible in terms of c, e.g., 0.89 c [tex] = {[ 0.89]} {[2.997 x 10^8 m /sec]} [/tex].

Last edited:
OK, so they injected light into a vacuum and it was frozen for a split second. Does light follow Heisenbergs uncertainty principle? i know it would be easy to detect cos you can see it, but how would they know it had stopped?

ultra slow light

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/cond-mat/pdf/0307/0307402.pdf

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/9904/9904031.pdf

I just created the second pdf there, it should be ready for reading now. The mentioned group's research results are on that web site. The light is reported on the order of [tex] 10^2m/sec[/tex], with other reports of slowing given in terms of c (as I indicated in this thread above)in recent experiments. This should answer the questions.

Heisenberg <=> quantum is concerned with one "end" if you will of the "universe"(<=>multiverse) and relativity with the "other end" although of course there is no rigour in this shorthand. Our goal as mankind has been said to understand how those ends meet.

As we progress technically (and Ed Teller [if not Michio Kaku q.v.] might have objected to the use of the word progress in this context)we see more new forms of matter arising (second article q.v.); similarly we see matter existing as "clumps" of nuclear particles, not matter existing as "atoms" (much less molecules) with other (atomic) particles stripped away as we are able to alter the conditions of matter in the laboratory for example approaching fusion temps (as at the centre of the sun) or in a neutron star.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by jimmy p
OK, so they injected light into a vacuum and it was frozen for a split second. Does light follow Heisenbergs uncertainty principle? i know it would be easy to detect cos you can see it, but how would they know it had stopped?

The title of the article was slightly misleading. While the pulses were considered frozen, the photons were not. They were trapped, slowed and reflecting back and forth, within a small zone. They have slowed light, but not stopped it (including the photons) w/o the loss of photons (as in their energy was absorbed by the sodium or rubidium atoms, then reemitted later).

Originally posted by radagast
The title of the article was slightly misleading. While the pulses were considered frozen, the photons were not. They were trapped, slowed and reflecting back and forth, within a small zone. They have slowed light, but not stopped it (including the photons) w/o the loss of photons (as in their energy was absorbed by the sodium or rubidium atoms, then reemitted later).

OHHHH I see now! That makes a little more sense and stops my brain hurting!

solid surface T

The T is right in some solid surface.

1. Can you really freeze light?

Technically, no. Light is a form of energy and does not have a physical mass that can be frozen like water or other liquids.

2. Then what is meant by "freezing" light?

When we say "freezing" light, we mean slowing down the movement of light particles. This is achieved by reducing the temperature of the medium through which light is traveling.

3. Can light be slowed down to a complete stop?

No, it cannot. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and cannot be reduced to zero. However, it can be slowed down significantly in certain mediums, such as in a Bose-Einstein condensate, where light particles behave more like atoms.

4. Is it possible to capture and store light in a frozen state?

No, it is not possible to physically capture and store light. However, we can use certain materials, such as photonic crystals, to trap light and control its movement, giving the illusion of "frozen" light.

5. Can freezing light have any practical applications?

Yes, the ability to control and manipulate the speed of light can have various practical applications, such as in optical communication, quantum computing, and medical imaging technologies. It also allows scientists to study the behavior of light and gain a better understanding of its properties.