Weird and wonderful Physic & MAth Formula

In summary, a person is asking for help finding a website with complex and visually appealing formulas to use for a poster. They are directed to several websites, including Eric Weisstein's site, and are also given suggestions for famous equations and Feynman diagrams. The person later returns to share the T-shirt design they created using the equations.
Shahil
Hi!

Just wanted to get some help from all you wonderful guys!

Can anybody help me with providing a link to a website that has all weird and wonderful formula to work out stuff - you know the kind - with more greek letters than you would find in a greek book and all those other wonderful curly letters that they use.

If you must know - I really don't care what they mean (though I probably read up on them-but that's just me!) but I wnat to put it on a poster soooo the more weird looking the formula are, the better!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you just want to see huge formulas that you don't understand?

- Warren

Try finding a formula on Eric Weisstein's site, big or small, that at least explains what it is doing. Then use it for your poster.

chroot said:

- Warren

Have you never been struck by the weird beauty of some of Ramanujan's formulae?
(Personally, I tend to like formulae which are elegant, concise and short that I understand the meaning of; however, some of Ramanujan's identities still strike me as "beautiful" even though I don't know a single step in the derivation of the formula)

Shahil said:
If you must know - I really don't care what they mean (though I probably read up on them-but that's just me!) but I wnat to put it on a poster soooo the more weird looking the formula are, the better!

I don't suppose we may have a look at the poster once you're done.

chroot said:

- Warren

Basically yes! Complex formulae with odd-looking symbols are more eye-catching than something like v = u + at. My enquiring mind, though, will force me to find out the meanings of these equations just out of interest! :wink:

chrono said:
I don't suppose we may have a look at the poster once you're done.

No problem there - I'll attach a file when I'm done! Just I'd like some help with links and stuff coz all I've found so far are the simplistic stuff you learn in 1st and 2nd year and though some "look" nice, but nothing really, really "eye-catching" as such!

Last edited:
Shahil said:
Just I'd like some help with links and stuff coz all I've found so far are the simplistic stuff you learn in 1st and 2nd year and though some "look" nice, but nothing really, really "eye-catching" as such!

Well, all right then. I downloaded this a while ago and thought it would be nice to have. I'm not sure if you got it already, but I'll post it anyway. If not, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Physics Formulary

http://archive[/b]

try

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu.Cyberia/NumRel/mathemine1.html

or just go to The Einstein Equations site and look under "mathmine field equations in 2d".

Last edited by a moderator:
einsteinian77 said:
try
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu.Cyberia/NumRel/mathemine1.html

:eek: Thanks but the link don't work!

Chrono said:

Neither is this link working! Guess it ain't my day today! :cry: :cry:

I have these on my coffee mug. They're called the "Grand Challenge Equations"
http://www.sdsc.edu/GCequations/grand_challenge.html

Don't forget the famous ones like Einstein's equation, or the expressions for the blackbody spectrum as derived by Planck.

- Warren

Shahil said:
Neither is this link working! Guess it ain't my day today! :cry: :cry:

Really? It works when I click on it.

Chrono said:
Really? It works when I click on it.

Ja, it's working now! I tried a couple hours back but it no work! Thanks!

:cry:

AGAIN! The PDF don't want to dl! Hell, this is def. not my day!

:confused:

Weird stuff - It's working now!

Last edited:
Thanks Chrono! The site is like SUPERCOOL!

BTW got to better "project" for the equations which just struck me! Our engineering faculty wants T-Shirt designs soo...the equations have given me a very nice idea for a wicked T design!

Thanks all for help!

Shahil said:
Thanks Chrono! The site is like SUPERCOOL!

BTW got to better "project" for the equations which just struck me! Our engineering faculty wants T-Shirt designs soo...the equations have given me a very nice idea for a wicked T design!

I figured you'd like it.

The t-shirts would be a cool idea! You should sell them, I'm sure we would buy some.

The late Richard Feynman is famous for, among other things, his 'Feynman diagrams.' There is an anecdote that goes back to the period of time when he was first speaking on that topic at seminars on field theory. Supposedly a couple of big-time physicists were discussing what they had learned from the talks at a seminar, and all they could say relative to Feynman's talk was that he wrote equations with "funny-looking slashes" through some of the symbols. The use of the slash is to save some writing of symbols when dealing with spinors, and it is pretty common to come across it these days.

A bit late but that's okay I guess

Hi!

It's been a year since I posted this thread asking you guys for help and I realized I didn't show you guys the final product. This is the design I made for our engineering faculty T-Shirt competition. They haven't decided on anything yet so don't know if they're using it. :smile: It is a bit small though - the original.png file is. like, 250KB and about 5x the size. Anyways, hope you like!

Attachments

• Glowingsmall - Front.png
    Glowingsmall - Front.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 488

1. What are some examples of weird and wonderful physics and math formulas?

Some examples include the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles, and the Navier-Stokes equations, which explain the flow of fluids. Other examples include the Pythagorean theorem, which relates the sides of a right triangle, and the Golden Ratio, which appears in nature and art.

2. Why are these formulas considered weird and wonderful?

These formulas are considered weird and wonderful because they describe complex phenomena and relationships in the natural world. They often involve abstract concepts and require advanced mathematical techniques to fully understand.

3. How do these formulas impact our daily lives?

While we may not directly use these formulas in our daily lives, they have a profound impact on the technologies and systems that we rely on. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics are essential for understanding and developing technologies like transistors and lasers.

4. Are there any real-world applications for these formulas?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for these formulas. For instance, the Navier-Stokes equations are used in the design of airplanes and cars, and the Pythagorean theorem is used in construction and navigation. The Golden Ratio has also been applied in fields such as architecture and art.

5. Do these formulas have any limitations?

Like any scientific theory or model, these formulas have limitations. They may not fully explain all aspects of a phenomenon, and they may need to be revised or improved upon as new evidence and data are discovered. Additionally, some of these formulas may only apply to specific situations and may not be applicable in all scenarios.