Sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n

However, that is not the end of the story. As the article points out, there is a paper by Cohen, "Sums of Powers of Integers" (Amer. Math. Monthly 76 (1969), 575-576), that corrects a small error in the formula as given in the article (look at equation 4).]In summary, the formula for calculating the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n is Faulhaber's formula, which involves Bernoulli numbers. However, for a more general formula, Cohen's paper on "Sums of Powers of Integers" should be consulted.
Thirit

Homework Statement

I want to know what's the formula to calculate the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n.
I got an identity from wikipedia but its too complicated for me, it involves bernoulli's number, i don't know what is that.

Homework Equations

05228b0f23694df78a466dd7007152ca.png

The Attempt at a Solution

In excel i managed to get a power regression and i got the formula 0.701n^(1.492), its kind of accurate but not 100%.

I hope someone could help me.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli numbers

The Wikipedia page entitled "Bernoulli number" has the definition:
Bernoulli numbers may be calculated by using the following recursive formula:
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^m\left(\begin{array}{ c }
m+1 \\
j
\end{array}\right)B_j=0[/tex]
for m > 0, and B0 = 1.

Thirit said:
[I want to know what's the formula to calculate the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n.
I got an identity from wikipedia but its too complicated for me, it involves bernoulli's number, i don't know what is that.
Exactly what Bernoulli numbers are (but see EnumaElish's post) is a bit irrelevant here because that identity, known as Faulhaber's formula, is only valid for integer powers.

What you want is something more general. See the mathworld article on power sums, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PowerSum.html" , particularly equations 10 through 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n

What is the formula for finding the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n?

The formula for finding the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n is n(n+1)(2n+1)/6.

Why is the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n important in mathematics?

The sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n is important in mathematics because it is used in various mathematical concepts such as calculating the area under a curve and finding the average rate of change.

How does the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n relate to geometric series?

The sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n is a type of geometric series where the common ratio is 1/2. This means that each term in the series is half of the previous term, making it a useful tool for solving problems involving geometric series.

Can the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n be calculated for non-integer values of n?

No, the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n can only be calculated for integer values of n. However, there are methods for approximating the sum for non-integer values of n.

What are some real-world applications of the sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n?

The sum of the square root of integers from 1 to n has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to calculate the total energy of a system, find the displacement of an object, and determine the total cost of an investment with compound interest.