Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of the products of every pair of the first 'n' natural numbers using the formulas sigma n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 and 1+2+...+n. The conversation provides a general term for the sum and then uses it to derive a simpler equation, with the final solution being n[n+1/2]^2 [ (3n-2)(n-1) / 12 ]. The conversation also explores a better solution, which involves using sigma n to simplify the equation and remove any repeated terms.
draotic

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the products of every pair of the first 'n' natural numbers.

Homework Equations

sigma n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

The Attempt at a Solution

S=1.2 + 1.3 + 1.4 ...+ 2.3 + 2.4 ...n-1(n)
i can't figure out how to proceed ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about expanding the expression (1+2+...+n)*(1+2+...+n) like it was a polynomial.

(1+2+...n)^2 = (1.1 +2.2 ...n.n) + (1.2+1.3 ...1.n ...n-1.n)
please guide me further

You have a formula for summing the squares 1^2+2^2+...+n^2. You've probably got a formula for summing 1+2+..+n as well. Use it.

That's a good question and very conceptual. Try to break your problem into a general summation which can be expressed by a variable.

gif.latex?\large%20S=1.1+1.2+...+2.3+2.4+...gif

gif.latex?\large%20\Rightarrow%20S=1(2+3+...+n)+2(3+4+...+n)+...gif

Don't you worry about n(0), that thing is created to be zero, as you'll see in next step.

We can take the numbers outside the brackets as r, whose value varies from r=1,2,...,(n-1),n.

Now about the summation of numbers inside the bracket. You can take out their sum by AP. Since the first term of any bracket is (r+1) and the last term is always n, the number of terms can be figured as (n-r), since you're not counting first r natural number.

Therefore, our general term can be written as:

gif.gif

NOTE: Try considering r=n. It is a huge relief that Tn=0, or else we would have to manually subtract it in the end. Always consider manually checking last term in the general term, they may give you a problem.

Now fearlessly take summation of our series.

gif.gif

Now open it and you'll get the following:

gif.gif

Simple equation in summation of r, r2 and r3

AGNuke said:
That's a good question and very conceptual. Try to break your problem into a general summation which can be expressed by a variable.

gif.latex?\large%20S=1.1+1.2+...+2.3+2.4+...gif

gif.latex?\large%20\Rightarrow%20S=1(2+3+...+n)+2(3+4+...+n)+...gif

Don't you worry about n(0), that thing is created to be zero, as you'll see in next step.

We can take the numbers outside the brackets as r, whose value varies from r=1,2,...,(n-1),n.

Now about the summation of numbers inside the bracket. You can take out their sum by AP. Since the first term of any bracket is (r+1) and the last term is always n, the number of terms can be figured as (n-r), since you're not counting first r natural number.

Therefore, our general term can be written as:

gif.gif

NOTE: Try considering r=n. It is a huge relief that Tn=0, or else we would have to manually subtract it in the end. Always consider manually checking last term in the general term, they may give you a problem.

Now fearlessly take summation of our series.

gif.gif

Now open it and you'll get the following:

gif.gif

Simple equation in summation of r, r2 and r3
Thanx for the reply
summing up your equation , i got
n[n+1/2]^2 [ (3n-2)(n-1) / 12 ]
will you check if this right . . . .

i am told that this is a better way to do it..
but i can't begin to undrstand the (sigma n)^2 - sigma n^2 thing

Attachments

• Sol.PNG
    Sol.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 436
gif.latex?\large%20\frac{\left%20(\sum_{r=1}^{n}r%20\right%20)^{2}-\sum_{r=1}^{n}r^{2}}{2}.gif

This is a better solution, but I was afraid of it since I was not fully sure whether it will work or not, but I guess in the end, my hunch was right! :biggrin:

Its simple enough. Let's see.

gif.latex?\large%20\left%20(\sum_{r=1}^{n}r%20\right%20)^{2}=(1+2+...+n)(1+2+...+n).gif

gif.latex?\large%20\Rightarrow%201(1+2+...+n)+2(1+2+...+n)+...+n(1+2+...gif

gif.latex?\large%201.1+1.2+...+2.1+2.2+...+3.3+...n.gif

As you can see, after multiplying, some squares are obtained, which we remove by Ʃr2.

Further more, You can see every non-square term will repeat two time, so we divide the remaining part by 2 and here we are.

AGNuke said:
gif.latex?\large%20\frac{\left%20(\sum_{r=1}^{n}r%20\right%20)^{2}-\sum_{r=1}^{n}r^{2}}{2}.gif

This is a better solution, but I was afraid of it since I was not fully sure whether it will work or not, but I guess in the end, my hunch was right! :biggrin:

Its simple enough. Let's see.

gif.latex?\large%20\left%20(\sum_{r=1}^{n}r%20\right%20)^{2}=(1+2+...+n)(1+2+...+n).gif

gif.latex?\large%20\Rightarrow%201(1+2+...+n)+2(1+2+...+n)+...+n(1+2+...gif

gif.latex?\large%201.1+1.2+...+2.1+2.2+...+3.3+...n.gif

As you can see, after multiplying, some squares are obtained, which we remove by Ʃr2.

Further more, You can see every non-square term will repeat two time, so we divide the remaining part by 2 and here we are.
Thanx AGNuke , that was some real help !

Welcome! :wink:

Related to Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers

1. What is the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers"?

The "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the sum of all possible products between pairs of natural numbers. In other words, it is the sum of all possible combinations of two numbers multiplied together, starting from 1 and ending at a given natural number.

2. How is the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers" calculated?

The formula for calculating the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers" is n(n+1)(n+2)/6, where n is the given natural number. This formula can also be written as nC2 * (n+1), where nC2 represents the combination of n taken 2 at a time. For example, if n = 4, the sum would be calculated as (4*5*6)/6 = 20.

3. What is the significance of the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers"?

The "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers" has various applications in mathematics and science, such as in combinatorics, probability, and number theory. It is also used in calculating the moments of certain probability distributions.

4. Is there a pattern in the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers"?

Yes, there is a pattern in the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers". It follows the pattern of triangular numbers, where each term is the sum of the previous term and the next natural number. For example, the first few terms are 1, 4, 10, 20, 35, and so on.

5. Can the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers" be generalized to other types of numbers?

Yes, the concept of the "Sum of Products of All Pairs of Natural Numbers" can be extended to other types of numbers, such as integers or even rational numbers. However, the formula for calculating the sum may differ depending on the type of numbers used.