Sum of Infinite Series: TI and Book Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, summing 2 different answers means adding together the numerical values of two distinct answers to get a single combined value. This can be done with answers from different categories or fields as long as they have numerical values. There is no specific formula for summing 2 different answers, it simply involves basic addition principles. It is possible to sum more than 2 different answers by adding all the numerical values together. Summing 2 different answers can be useful in scientific experiments or calculations where multiple values need to be combined, or to check the accuracy of calculations.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{206.b.46}$
\begin{align*}
\displaystyle
S_{book}&=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}
\frac{8^k}{k! }=0\\
S_{TI}&=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}
\frac{8^k}{k! }=e^8-1\\
\end{align*}
$\textsf{ 2 different answers?}$

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say your book is wrong. :)

karush said:
$\tiny{206.b.46}$
\begin{align*}
\displaystyle
S_{book}&=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}
\frac{8^k}{k! }=0\\
S_{TI}&=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}
\frac{8^k}{k! }=e^8-1\\
\end{align*}
$\textsf{ 2 different answers?}$
Consider the fact that (8^k)/k! are positive for all k. Thus they cannot sum to 0.

-Dan

Related to Sum of Infinite Series: TI and Book Solutions

1. What does it mean to "sum 2 different answers"?

Summing 2 different answers means to add together the numerical values of two distinct answers, resulting in a single combined value.

2. Can I sum two answers from different categories or fields?

Yes, you can sum two answers from different categories or fields as long as they both have numerical values. For example, you can sum the answers from a math problem and a physics problem.

3. Is there a specific formula for summing 2 different answers?

No, there is no specific formula for summing 2 different answers. It simply involves adding the numerical values together using basic addition principles.

4. Can I sum more than 2 different answers?

Yes, you can sum more than 2 different answers by following the same principles of addition and adding all the numerical values together.

5. Why would I need to sum 2 different answers?

Summing 2 different answers can be useful in various scientific experiments or calculations where multiple values need to be combined to find a final result. It can also be used to check the accuracy of calculations by comparing the summed value to an expected result.