Sum of Getometric Sequence with alternating signs

In summary, the given sequence can be written as a geometric sequence with a common ratio of -5. To find the sum, you can either factor out (-5)^2 from the sequence and use the formula or use the formula and subtract (-5)^0 and (-5)^1 from the result.
notSomebody

Homework Statement

5^2 - 5^3 + 5^4 - ... + (-1)^k*5^k whre k is an integer with k >= 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know (5^(k-1) - 5^2)/2 gives you the sum if they were all positive. I tried multiplying it by (-1)^k or something but that just changes the sign. I wish I could give you more but I can't.

Physics news on Phys.org
A geometric sequence is [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N ar^n[/itex]. And the sum is:
[tex]\frac{1- r^{N+1}}{1- r}[/tex]
r does not have to be positive. Your sequence has a= 1, r= -5.

[tex]\frac{1- (-5)^{2+1}}{1- (-5)}[/tex] = 21 though and not 25

Last edited:
The sum that HallsofIvy gave includes (-5)0 and (-5)1

There are two ways to handle the fact that your sum starts with [itex]r^2[/itex] rather than [itex]r^0= 1[/itex].

1) Factor out an [itex]r^2[/itex] [itex](-5)^2+ (-5)^3\cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-5)^k= (-5)^2(1+ (-5)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-5)^{k-2})[/itex]

Use the formula I gave with n= k- 2 and then multiply by [itex](-5)^2= 25[/itex].

2) Use the formula with n= k and then subtract of [itex](-5)^0+ (-5)^1= 1- 6= -4[/itex].

Related to Sum of Getometric Sequence with alternating signs

1. What is a geometric sequence with alternating signs?

A geometric sequence with alternating signs is a sequence of numbers where each subsequent term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio, but the signs alternate between positive and negative. For example, a geometric sequence with alternating signs could be -2, 4, -8, 16, -32, ...

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric sequence with alternating signs?

To find the sum of a geometric sequence with alternating signs, you can use the formula S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. However, if the common ratio is greater than 1 or less than -1, the sum will be infinite.

3. Can a geometric sequence with alternating signs have a negative first term?

Yes, a geometric sequence with alternating signs can have a negative first term. The alternating signs simply refer to the positive or negative values of the terms in relation to each other, not necessarily the value of the first term.

4. What is the difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence?

The main difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence is that in a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio, while in an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a constant difference to the previous term. Additionally, a geometric sequence can have alternating signs, while an arithmetic sequence cannot.

5. How is a geometric sequence with alternating signs used in real-life situations?

Geometric sequences with alternating signs can be used to model various phenomena in real-life situations, such as population growth, financial investments, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in physics to represent oscillatory motion, where the sign alternates between positive and negative as the object moves back and forth.