Google iLoo: The Ultimate Portable Lavatory with Internet Access

• Thread starter damgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
I guess they could have just changed their mind. In summary, Microsoft's internet arm MSN is set to unveil the world's first portable lavatory with internet access, the 'iLoo', at summer music festivals. Some believe it to be a joke, while others suspect it is a serious creation. The iLoo may face challenges such as crashing and vandalism, but Microsoft has confirmed that it is a legitimate project that was terminated after causing controversy.
damgo
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030506/i/1052236650.3221815359.jpg [Broken]

The world's first portable lavatory with internet access is due to be unveiled this summer. The 'iLoo' is being built by Microsoft's internet arm MSN which aims to showcase its creation at summer music festivals.
Part of me suspects this must be a joke, but another part suspects it's deadly serious.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I shudder to think what would happen when it inevitably crashes...

but another part suspects it's deadly serious.
Maybe for when bill gates visit a construction site, lol. Otherwise what contractor would pay for this? So his greasy construction workers can have a high tech potty? This must be a fake.

Naa, looks like it's legit...

MSN UK tests Net-connected portable potty
http://www.msnbc.com/news/908511.asp?cp1=1

despite the eerie resemblance to

New E-Toilet To Revolutionize On-Line ****ting
http://www.theonion.com/onion3536/e_toilet.html [Broken]

There was an article in the daily mail about it today. There going to have them at big musics festivals like Glastonbury but I don't know why someone would wan't to sit on a public toilet at glastonbury and surf the web. Also it's bound to get vandalised within a couple of minutes.

I read about it on yahoo news I believe.

What an idea. A hitech outhouse. What will they think of next?

I'm with you Greg, being a former construction worker. For one, unless they have done something to suppress the stinch that get worse as the day gets hotter, then I don't think anyone will be using it for any length of time.

I wonder if it's wifi ready. I wouldn't mind having one for personal use. Hehe

i don't like touching the doornob handles in public toilets

imagine the filth on a public toilet keyboard? No thank you MS!

and god knows what this computer would be used for?

Alas, many creditable sources have verified that the iLoo was a joke created by the Microsoft branch in the UK. Those hooligans!

Gives a whole new twist to downloads.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Alas, many creditable sources have verified that the iLoo was a joke created by the Microsoft branch in the UK. Those hooligans!
Not quite... :wink:
On Monday, the world's largest software maker had said the "iLoo," which was described in minute detail in an April 30 press release by its British subsidiary, was a hoax and apologized for any "confusion or offense."

But on Tuesday Microsoft switched its story and said that the iLoo had been a legitimate project by its British MSN Internet service that was terminated after the initial announcement prompted controversy, ridicule and disgust.

"Corporate headquarters in Redmond, Washington, looked at it and decided maybe this wasn't a good idea," said Lisa Gurry, MSN group product manager.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030514/wr_nm/tech_microsoft_iloo_dc_2 [Broken]

now I can say that the universe can no longer surprise me...
but who would want to reinstall windows in there?

Originally posted by damgo
Not quite... :wink:
Press releases are like underwear. The primary purpose is to cover your ass (unless you are female :wink: ). So its tough to know exactly what happened there.

What is Google iLoo?

The Google iLoo is a portable toilet equipped with internet access, designed for use in public spaces such as festivals and events.

How does Google iLoo work?

The Google iLoo is a self-contained unit that operates similarly to a regular portable toilet. It has a flushing mechanism, a hand sanitizer dispenser, and a toilet paper holder. The internet access is provided through a wireless connection.

What features does Google iLoo have?

In addition to the internet access, the Google iLoo also has a built-in keyboard and a screen for users to browse the internet. It also has a waterproof keyboard and a plasma screen on the outside to display advertisements.

Is Google iLoo safe to use?

Yes, the Google iLoo is designed with safety in mind. The internet access is password protected, and the unit has a privacy screen to ensure the user's privacy. It is also regularly cleaned and maintained for hygiene purposes.

Where can I find Google iLoo?

The Google iLoo was only a concept and was never actually released. It was announced as an April Fool's joke by Google in 2003.

Back