Sum of Forces in X and Y Directions - axis set up normally

• Thread starter cdornz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, we discussed using the equations Vx = Vcosθ and Vy = Vsinθ to find the x and y components of a vector V, and how to apply this to finding the components of F1 given its angle and value. We also clarified that the signs of the components depend on the direction of the vector in relation to the axes.
cdornz
Being asked for the sum of forces in the X and Y directions and the axis are set up 'normally' so like a plus sign ( + ).

I attempted the first one and I think I did it correctly, but I'm not so sure about the second one.

Attachments

• 973894_10151935878388056_1284058892_n.jpg
    973894_10151935878388056_1284058892_n.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 975492_10151935877933056_1452101494_n.jpg
    975492_10151935877933056_1452101494_n.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is fine. Where's your work on the second one?

Note: While a diagram is useful for reference, please type up your work right here in the thread. That helps people give you better help.

Please see: How to Ask for Help

So I was looking through my notes, and I saw the equation Vx = Vcosθ and Vy = Vsinθ.

I'm not sure though that this is where i can put these equations to use, since i don't know the value of V. In looking at the angles, F1 is 60° from the x-axis going counterclockwise. I'm lost in more of how to put the information I do know together.

cdornz said:
So I was looking through my notes, and I saw the equation Vx = Vcosθ and Vy = Vsinθ.
That's how you'd find the x and y components of some vector V, where θ is the angle made with the +x axis.

I'm not sure though that this is where i can put these equations to use, since i don't know the value of V.
According to the diagram, it would be F1.

In looking at the angles, F1 is 60° from the x-axis going counterclockwise.
F1 is 60° below the negative x axis. So will the x-component of F1 be negative or positive?

If the x-component is below the negative x-axis i would think that that component would be negative. But using those equations I think I've determined the answer.

F1x=F1cos60°
F1y=F1sin30°

I broke this down by drawing out the picture of the triangle somewhat given and by finding the f1x and f1y components and plugging those into the equations I had.

cdornz said:
If the x-component is below the negative x-axis i would think that that component would be negative. But using those equations I think I've determined the answer.

F1x=F1cos60°
F1y=F1sin30°

I broke this down by drawing out the picture of the triangle somewhat given and by finding the f1x and f1y components and plugging those into the equations I had.
Looks OK except for the signs.

In question with the signs, would the x-component be negative because it is technically below the F1 and the y-component positive because it is technically above the F1?

cdornz said:
In question with the signs, would the x-component be negative because it is technically below the F1 and the y-component positive because it is technically above the F1?
Hint: Redraw the vector F1 so its tail is at the point of application. Or at least imagine a set of axes with the origin at the tail of F1. That will make it easier to see the signs of the components.

The x-component of F1 is negative since F1 points to the left of the vertical axis.

The y-component of F1 is negative since F1 points below the horizontal axis.

Related to Sum of Forces in X and Y Directions - axis set up normally

1. What is the sum of forces in the X and Y directions?

The sum of forces in the X and Y directions refers to the total amount of force acting on an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions. It takes into account all the individual forces acting on the object, including both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you set up the X and Y axis normally?

The X and Y axis are typically set up in a way that the X-axis represents the horizontal direction and the Y-axis represents the vertical direction. The positive direction for each axis is usually indicated with an arrow pointing towards the positive direction, and the negative direction is indicated with an arrow pointing towards the negative direction.

3. Why is it important to consider the sum of forces in both X and Y directions?

The sum of forces in both X and Y directions is important because it helps us understand the overall movement and stability of an object. If the sum of forces in either direction is not balanced, the object will experience a net force and will accelerate in that direction.

4. How do you calculate the sum of forces in X and Y directions?

To calculate the sum of forces in X and Y directions, you need to first identify all the individual forces acting on the object and determine their magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition to add all the forces in each direction separately. The sum of forces in the X direction will give you the net force in the horizontal direction, and the sum of forces in the Y direction will give you the net force in the vertical direction.

5. What happens if the sum of forces in X and Y directions is zero?

If the sum of forces in both X and Y directions is zero, it means that the object is in a state of equilibrium. This means that all the individual forces are balanced and there is no net force acting on the object. As a result, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.