Sum of digits without regard to place value?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of number theory and a peculiar relationship discovered by the person in high school. They are interested in learning more about number theory and the names of functions/operations related to it. One of the operations they are looking for is the sum of digits in a number without regard to place value, which is also known as "digit sum". They are also interested in other operations and studies involving the digits of numbers. The relationship they discovered is congruent mod 9 and they are looking for its formal name. They also mention "casting out nines" and ask if there is a term for numbers that are "semi palindromic".
marcuss421
I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the topic.
I recently started writing programs to solve Project Euler problems and it rekindled my interest in number theory. Especially as it relates to a peculiar relationship I found back in high school. I would like to learn more about number theory and I need some direction with regards to the names of some functions/operations.

Essentially at the heart of the relationship I found was the fact that every number I obtained as a result differed from its "counterpart" by a multiple of 9. Always. After some research I believe this to be "Mod 9".

The one of the operations that got me to this point however I can't for the life of my find a name for. I was essentially adding the digits of a number without regard to place value. e.g. 123 becomes 1+2+3 = 6. Is there a formal name for this operation? And can you point me in the direction of any existing work on integers and relationships that occur when you do these types of operations that discard place value and instead focus on the individual digits themselves? I've done a fair amount of googling and I can't seem to find any formal names or fields of study research.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called being "congruent mod 9." But you need to define the term "counterpart."

You could define them, like so:
[tex]a := \sum_i d_i 10^i[/tex]
[tex]b := \sum_i d_i[/tex]

Then your conjecture could be written [itex]a \equiv b \mbox{ mod 9}[/itex], which is read "a is congruent to b modulus 9."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

@Tyler H
Pardon my ambiguity, but I prefer to remain veiled in my description of this relationship in hopes it may be something new. However, to define the term "counterpart" I can provide some clarity. Let's say I start with the number 1234, and then I do some manner of manipulation to this number, and arrive at 45. The "counterpart" would be for example 2341, which is related to 1234 in the sense that the digits have simply been shifted. When that same manner of manipulations that transforms 1234 into 45 is applied to 2341, the result becomes let's say 27. 45-27 = 18, hence the relationship being congruent mod 9. The moment I find out that I am not observing something new, I will reply/repost with a full explanation.

@micromass

Thank you! I was hindered in finding that by my assumption that the operation would have some fancy name.

Do you know of any other operations/studies involving the digits of numbers themselves? So far it looks like the existing topics include: Digit Sums, Digit Roots, Checksums, and various number sets that are some application of the aforementioned topics?

To prove the divisibility by nine test you rediscovered, simply note that
[tex]a-b = \sum_i d_i *(10^i - 1) = \sum_i d_i * 9s [/tex] Thus the difference between the two sums is divisible by 9. By the law of congruence http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Congruence.html , if the difference between two numbers is divisible by m, the two numbers are congruent modulus m, i.e have the same remainder when divided by m.

Last edited:
You might also want to look up "casting out nines".

New Question... Does anyone know if there's a term for "semi palindromic" between two numbers? Eg. 155 and 551. They aren't in and of themselves palindromic, but they are "mirrored". My interest in these numbers is that they are vastly different numerically, yet they have identical digit sums.

Related to Sum of digits without regard to place value?

What is the concept of sum of digits without regard to place value?

The sum of digits without regard to place value is the result of adding all the digits in a number, regardless of their position or value. This means that the value of a digit is not determined by its position in the number, but rather by the digit itself.

How do you calculate the sum of digits without regard to place value?

To calculate the sum of digits without regard to place value, you simply add all the digits in the number together. For example, the sum of digits without regard to place value of the number 123 would be 1+2+3=6.

Why is sum of digits without regard to place value important in mathematics?

Sum of digits without regard to place value is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the relationships between numbers and their individual digits. It also plays a role in various mathematical operations, such as finding the digital root or determining divisibility.

Can the sum of digits without regard to place value be negative?

No, the sum of digits without regard to place value cannot be negative. This is because the sum is always the result of adding positive digits together, and any negative digits would be subtracted from the sum. Therefore, the sum of digits without regard to place value is always a positive number.

How is sum of digits without regard to place value used in real-life applications?

Sum of digits without regard to place value is used in real-life applications in various ways. For example, it can be used in coding and cryptography, as well as in financial calculations and data analysis. It is also used in everyday tasks such as adding up prices or calculating change.