Inverses, one2one, onto functions

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a function f(x) that satisfies g(f(x))=x but does not have an inverse, the definition of inverse and the guarantee of its existence, and an example of a function that is one to one but not onto and does not have an inverse. It also touches on the property of 1-1 functions and the possibility of having an inverse with restrictions. The conversation ends with a discussion on whether all functions and graphs have inverses.
StephenPrivitera
What's an example of a function f(x) such that g(f(x))=x for some g but there is no h such that f(h(x))=x?
I came up with a proof that showed that there is no such function f, but I relied on the fact that a function that is one to one has an inverse. Apparently a function must also be onto. What is the definition of inverse and what guarantees the existence of an inverse such that f(g(x))=g(f(x))=x?
What function is one to one but not onto and does not have an inverse?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A function is nothing more than a line, but instead of Y you use F of X, it's all pretty stupid if you ask me

What function is one to one but not onto and does not have an inverse?

ex as a function from R to R is a simple one. If f(x) is the inverse to ex, then what is f(-1)?

This also demonstrates a property of 1-1 functions; if you restrict the range, you can make an inverse. In this case, if we view ex as a function from R to R> (the positive reals) then ex does have an inverse; ln x.

Inverses

Do all functions have inverses? (If you place restrictions)
Do all graphs have inverses?

Do all functions have inverses? (If you place restrictions)

Trivially yes... I could restrict the domain and range to a single point! (though, usually, you can get useful results without such a harsh restriction) For differentiable functions, you might want to look up the inverse function theorem.

Do all graphs have inverses?

TMK, The term "inverse" doesn't apply to graphs.

I asked three other teachers at my high school: Do all functions have inverses? Responses: I don't know, maybe, and no because of problems with complex numbers. I looked up the theorem of inverse functions with regard to derivatives and am satisified with that. So your answer to the questions is yes, if you aren't concerned with restrictions? Thanks

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. It essentially "reverses" the original function, mapping the output of the original function back to its input.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you first need to switch the x and y variables. Then, solve for y and rewrite the equation in the form of y = f(x). The resulting function is the inverse of the original function.

3. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one (injective) function is a function where each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. In other words, no two inputs can have the same output.

4. How do you determine if a function is one-to-one?

You can determine if a function is one-to-one by using the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. If a horizontal line intersects the graph at only one point, then the function is one-to-one.

5. What does it mean for a function to be onto?

A function is onto (surjective) if every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, the function "covers" all possible values in the range.