Sum of area bounded by the curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between taking the area bounded by a curve as the sum of positive and negative areas versus just summing positive and negative areas. It also touches on the use of LHS and RHS in complex integrals and their significance in determining the area. The integral of the sine function between 0 and 2π is 0, while the area between the sine function and the x-axis is calculated by adding the positive and negative areas between 0 and 2π, resulting in a value of 4. The use of LHS and RHS depends on the specific question being asked.
luka perkovic
Why we sometimes take the area bounded by the curve is sum of positive area and absolute of negative area(e.g. ∫\int_0^2π sin(x)\, dx is equal to 4 or area of ellipse )?But sometimes we just sum positive and negative areas which is equal to 0(e.g. area of cycloid →when we integrate we get r*r(x-2sin(x)+½x+sin(2x)/4) from 0 to 2π and we get r*r(2π-2*0+π+0)-0=3r*r*π).Why I can´t just take for -2sin(x) from 0 to 2π is equal to 4 and equally for sin(2x)/4,because that is the area bounded by the curve?

Physics news on Phys.org
An integral like $$ \int_a^b f(x)\,dx $$ calculated as the signed area between ##f(x)## and ##x## axis.
If there are conditions that split this integral to partial integrals in ##[a,b]##, then may have different sign.

Is then area of
\int_0^2π sin(x)\,dx

0 or 4?If we take

\int_0^2π sin(x)\,dx = 2 \int_0^π sin(x)\,dx

then area be 4(what is correct because that is area bounded by the curve).I can´t understand how area in this case could be 0 because area is not a vector.Thanks.

$$\int_0^{2π} sin(x)\,dx = 2 \int_0^π sin(x)\,dx$$ may used on cases than something change on ##\pi## value. Generally is zero.
Please, place the foul problem.

theodoros.mihos said:
$$\int_0^{2π} sin(x)\,dx = 2 \int_0^π sin(x)\,dx$$
That's not correct.
LHS is 0, RHS is 4.

Likes luka perkovic
Yes, is not correct but when we don't explain what we do, some people thinks that may be correct for some reason.
For example, I don't know what is LHS or RHS. Is something like KGB to me.

Likes luka perkovic
theodoros.mihos said:
Yes, is not correct but when we don't explain what we do, some people thinks that may be correct for some reason.
For example, I don't know what is LHS or RHS. Is something like KGB to me.
Better having problems with LHS or RHS than with the KGB. :)
LHS is shorthand for the left-hand side of an equation. Similarly, RHS is the right-hand side.

That´s my problem, why we in complex integrals with sin(x) (from 0 to 2 π) use LHS for sin(x)?But when we calculate area bounded only with sinusoid (by 0 to 2π) ,we use RHS.

What does "area" exactly mean? Area for me is the paper amount that need painting and for this reason I take right hand result. But the integral have sign and is the left hand result.

luka perkovic said:
That´s my problem, why we in complex integrals with sin(x) (from 0 to 2 π) use LHS for sin(x)?But when we calculate area bounded only with sinusoid (by 0 to 2π) ,we use RHS.
It depends on the question.
The integral of the sine function between 0 and 2π is the LHS, with result 0.
But if you are asked to compute the area between the sine function and the x-axis, for x between 0 and 2π (say for a real estate project), then you have to add the "positive" area between 0 and π, and the "negative" area between π and 2π. In this case the RHS is what you want.

1. What is the "sum of area bounded by the curve"?

The "sum of area bounded by the curve" is a mathematical concept that refers to the total area enclosed by a curve on a graph. This can be calculated by finding the area under the curve using integration techniques.

2. How is the sum of area bounded by the curve calculated?

The sum of area bounded by the curve is calculated by finding the definite integral of the function representing the curve on the given interval. This involves breaking the area into small rectangles and adding them up to find the total area.

3. What is the significance of finding the sum of area bounded by the curve?

The sum of area bounded by the curve has many applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to calculate the total distance traveled, work done, or even the average value of a function. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function and its relationship with other variables.

4. Can the sum of area bounded by the curve be negative?

Yes, the sum of area bounded by the curve can be negative. This happens when the function representing the curve dips below the x-axis, creating negative areas. The negative sign indicates the opposite direction of the area, but the magnitude still represents the total enclosed area.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the sum of area bounded by the curve?

While the process of finding the sum of area bounded by the curve involves integration, there are some shortcuts or techniques that can make the calculation easier. These include using symmetry, breaking the area into smaller parts, and using special integration rules for specific types of curves, such as polynomial or trigonometric functions.