Sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of all possible products from sets of real numbers greater than 1, with the added condition that if the product is higher than a given value K, it must be included as K instead of its actual value. The speaker wonders if there is a fast way to calculate this without using loops. They suggest starting the loops with a clever choice of sets to potentially save time.
Wentu
Hello

I have a set of sets of real numbers greater than 1. Each set can have a different quantity of numbers.
Set A1 {a11, a12,...a1m1}
Set A2 {a21, a22, ..., a2m2}
Set AN {aN1, aN2, ..., aNmN}

If I want the sum of all possible products that have one element from each set, that's easy: (a11+a12+...+a1m1)x(a21+a22+...+a2m2)x...x(aN1+aN2+...+aNmN).
But what i interested in is the sum of all possible products that have one element from each set BUT if the product is Higher than K, then the product must be included as K, not as its real value.
Short example:
Set A1 (2,3)
Set A2 (7,9)
K = 20
Usual sum = 14 + 21 + 18 + 27
Sum I am interested in: 14 + 20 + 18 + 20

What's the fastest way to calculate it? is it possible to do this with a neat formula or am I forced to cycle over all combinations?
Thankx

Wentu

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how to calculate this without any loops. You don't have to consider all combinations - as an example, if a1*a2*a3 > K and you have 10 sets, you can calculate m4*m5*...*m10 combinations at once as they all give K.
On the other hand, if a1*a2*a3 * (maximal element of A4) * ... < K, you can ignore the limit and calculate all sums as well. Starting the loops with a clever choice of sets could save some time, but that depends on the numbers.

Related to Sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum

1. What does "sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum" mean?

The sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum refers to the total value obtained by multiplying the maximum value of each possible combination of numbers. For example, if we have the numbers 2, 3, and 4, the maximum product would be 24 (4x3x2) and the sum of all possible products would be 24 + 12 + 8 = 44.

2. Why is the sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum important?

The sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum is important because it helps in understanding the overall range and distribution of values in a given set. It also allows for efficient calculations and can be used in various mathematical and statistical applications.

3. How is the sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum calculated?

The sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum can be calculated by first finding the maximum product and then finding the sum of all possible combinations that lead to that maximum product. This can be done manually or through mathematical equations and algorithms.

4. What factors affect the sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum?

The sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum is affected by the number of values in the given set, the range of values, and the pattern of their distribution. It is also affected by the order in which the values are multiplied and the inclusion or exclusion of certain values in the calculations.

5. How is the sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum useful in real-world scenarios?

The sum of all possible products when each product has a maximum can be useful in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and data analysis. It can help in predicting outcomes, optimizing solutions, and understanding the potential of a given set of values. It can also be used in decision-making processes and risk assessment.