Sum of a discrete finite sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the sum of a sequence is known and the sum of another related sequence is being sought. The possibility of finding a tight upper bound for the sum of the second sequence is explored, but it is determined that there is little that can be said without further information about the terms in the sequence.
bincy
Hii everyone,

I have a sequence {ai,1<= i <=k} where i know the sum of this sequence(say x).
I want to know the sum of another sequence {bi, 1<=i <=k}(at least a tight upper bound) where bi=ai*(1/2^i).

Or in other words, if you know the sum of the ratio sequence and sum of 1 sequence, how to find out the sum of the other sequence(can we)?

I tried using the convexity of 1/2^i, but couldn't get anything.

regards,
Bincy.

Physics news on Phys.org
bincybn said:
Hii everyone,

I have a sequence {ai,1<= i <=k} where i know the sum of this sequence(say x).
I want to know the sum of another sequence {bi, 1<=i <=k}(at least a tight upper bound) where bi=ai*(1/2^i).

Or in other words, if you know the sum of the ratio sequence and sum of 1 sequence, how to find out the sum of the other sequence(can we)?

I tried using the convexity of 1/2^i, but couldn't get anything.
In general, there is very little that you can say about $\sum_{i=1}^ka_i/2^i$.

I assume that the terms in the sequence $\{a_i\}$ are non-negative (if not, then there is even less that you can say about the sum of the series). If you think about the possible values of the $a_i$ (subject to the condition that their sum is $x$), then at one extreme you could have $a_1=x$ and $a_i=0$ for $2\leqslant i\leqslant k$. At the other extreme you could have $a_k=x$ and $a_i=0$ for $1\leqslant i\leqslant k-1$. In the first case, $\sum_{i=1}^ka_i/2^i = x/2$. In the second case, $\sum_{i=1}^ka_i/2^i = x/2^k$. So (unless you have further in formation about the $a_i$), all you can say about the sum of the $b_i$ is that it lies between $x/2^k$ and $x/2$. Presumably that does no qualify as a tight bound!

Related to Sum of a discrete finite sequence

1. What is a discrete finite sequence?

A discrete finite sequence is a sequence of numbers that has a finite number of terms and each term is distinct. This means that the numbers in the sequence are separate and non-repeating.

2. How do you find the sum of a discrete finite sequence?

The sum of a discrete finite sequence is calculated by adding up all the terms in the sequence. This can be done manually by adding each term one by one, or by using a formula such as the sum of an arithmetic sequence or the sum of a geometric sequence.

3. What is the difference between a discrete finite sequence and a continuous sequence?

A discrete finite sequence has a finite number of terms, while a continuous sequence has an infinite number of terms. Additionally, a discrete finite sequence has distinct and separate numbers, while a continuous sequence has a smooth and unbroken progression of numbers.

4. Can a discrete finite sequence have negative numbers?

Yes, a discrete finite sequence can have negative numbers. The sequence can contain any type of number, as long as the number of terms is finite and each term is distinct.

5. What are some real-world applications of discrete finite sequences?

Discrete finite sequences have many applications in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and analyze discrete events and data, such as stock prices, population growth, and computer algorithms. They are also used in cryptography to generate secure sequences of numbers.