Sum of 2 EM Waves w/ Same Phase & Amp but Diff Freq

In summary, when adding two electromagnetic waves with the same initial phase and amplitude but different frequencies, the resulting wave can be approximated as the sum of the two waves with an amplitude of twice the original and a frequency close to the larger of the two frequencies. This can be justified by considering the different values of k for each wave, where k is related to the frequency by k = ω/c.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Describe the sum of two EM waves that have the same initial phase and same amplitude but different frequencies such that [tex]\omega _1 >> \omega _2[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]E=E_0 \cos (kx -\omega t + \alpha)[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed them up and reached, after an approximation, that [tex]E_1+E_2 \approx 2 E_0 \cos \left (kx -\frac{\omega _1t}{2} + \alpha \right ) \cos \left ( \frac{\omega _ 1 t}{2} \right )[/tex]. I don't know how to simplify further. It seems that the amplitude is the sum of both amplitudes and I'm not sure yet what is the frequency. It should be almost [tex]\omega _1[/tex], intuitively. I just don't know how to show it.
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you consider the fact that
[tex]k=\frac{\omega}{c}[/tex]
and that's why k is different for the two plane waves with two different frequencies?

physicsworks said:
Did you consider the fact that
[tex]k=\frac{\omega}{c}[/tex]
and that's why k is different for the two plane waves with two different frequencies?

Thanks, actually I didn't consider this. I will redo the exercise.

Related to Sum of 2 EM Waves w/ Same Phase & Amp but Diff Freq

1. What is the sum of two EM waves with the same phase and amplitude, but different frequencies?

The sum of two EM waves with the same phase and amplitude but different frequencies is a new wave with a frequency equal to the average of the two original frequencies. This is known as the beat frequency.

2. How does the amplitude of the resulting wave compare to the original waves?

The resulting wave will have an amplitude that is equal to the sum of the amplitudes of the two original waves. This is because the amplitudes of the two waves add together when they are in phase.

3. What happens when two EM waves with opposite phases and the same amplitude are added?

When two EM waves with opposite phases and the same amplitude are added, they will cancel each other out and result in a wave with zero amplitude. This is known as destructive interference.

4. Can the sum of two EM waves with different frequencies ever result in a wave with a frequency of zero?

No, the sum of two EM waves with different frequencies will never result in a wave with a frequency of zero. The resulting wave will always have a frequency that is equal to the average of the two original frequencies.

5. How is the wavelength of the resulting wave affected by the addition of two EM waves with different frequencies?

The wavelength of the resulting wave will be longer than the wavelengths of the original waves. This is because the wavelength is inversely proportional to the frequency, and the average frequency of the resulting wave is lower than the individual frequencies of the original waves.