Sum of 100 terms (continued)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Terms
In summary, the formula for finding the sum of 100 terms is S = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term. The first term, a, can be found by looking at the pattern and determining the starting value. The last term, l, can be found by using the formula a + (n - 1)d, where d is the common difference between each term. The common difference, d, is the constant amount that is added or subtracted to each term in a sequence to get the next term. The sum of 100 terms can be negative if the terms in the sequence have alternating positive and negative values. Finding
Albert1
$a_1,a_2,...,a_{100}\in \begin{Bmatrix}
1,2,3,-----,100
\end{Bmatrix}$

$S=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a_1}}+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a_2}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a_{100}}}=12.5$.

Prove that at least two of the numbers are equal

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If S is to be rational, the ai expressions have to be perfect squares; so there are only 10 values available for 100 terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saknussemm said:
If S is to be rational, the ai expressions have to be perfect squares; so there are only 10 values available for 100 terms.
Can you give some examples to make S=12.5 ?
Or if you can prove it the best

Albert said:
Can you give some examples to make S=12.5 ?
Or if you can prove it the best

I meant my remark that each and every one $a_i$ expression in $\sum_{i=0}^{100} \frac{1}{\sqrt{a_i}}$ has to be a perfect square as a proof. Because, if a single $a_i$ equals a number like 2, the term $\frac{1}{\sqrt{a_i}}$ is irrational, which means that the sum S in turn will be irrational, and so will never equal a number like $\frac{25}{2}$. This means you will have to build your sum exclusively from terms like 1/10, 1/9, 1/8, etc.

The proof that there is no pair of integers $(a, b)$ such that $\sqrt{2} = \frac{a}{b}$ is due to Euclid. It consists in positing, without loss of generality, that $\frac{a}{b}$ is an irreducible fraction. Rearranging the terms and squaring, you find that both of $a^2$ and $b^2$ are even, meaning that both $a$ and $b$ are even, which contradicts the hypothesis that we have an irreducible fraction. It doesn't seem difficult to extend the proof to the root of any number that is not a perfect square, or to use a similar proof for the sum of 2 irrational numbers.

Now, if instead of requiring a rational result you had required an interval of real numbers, this proof would not be valid.
Then we could use the same kind of device you used to resolve a similar task, namely bound the sum $\sum_{n=1}^{100} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}$ by an integral.
Because $y = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}$ is monotonically decreasing and positive, we have

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{100} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \; > \; \int_1^{101} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \,dx \; > \; \int_1^{100} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \,dx \; = \left. 2 \sqrt{x} \; \right\rvert_{1}^{100} \; = \; 18$

To get below 18, you will have to repeat some of the lower numbers.

Related to Sum of 100 terms (continued)

What is the formula for finding the sum of 100 terms?

The formula for finding the sum of 100 terms is S = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms (100 in this case), a is the first term, and l is the last term.

How do you find the first term and last term of a sequence?

The first term, a, can be found by looking at the pattern and determining the starting value. The last term, l, can be found by using the formula a + (n - 1)d, where d is the common difference between each term.

What is the common difference in a sequence?

The common difference, d, is the constant amount that is added or subtracted to each term in a sequence to get the next term. It can be found by subtracting any two consecutive terms in the sequence.

Can the sum of 100 terms be negative?

Yes, the sum of 100 terms can be negative if the terms in the sequence have alternating positive and negative values. This can happen if the common difference is a negative number.

What is the significance of finding the sum of 100 terms?

Finding the sum of 100 terms allows us to understand the overall trend or pattern of a sequence. It can also help us make predictions about future terms in the sequence and can be applied in various real-life situations, such as finance and statistics.