Suicide substrate and kinetics

In summary: Can you manipulate the equations to get d[ED]/dt by itself on one side?In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a suicide substrate, where an enzyme reacts with a substrate to form a complex, but the substrate then chemically reacts with the enzyme, rendering it inactive. The reaction scheme for this process was given, along with the steady state approximation for [ES]. Using this, the conversation asked for an expression for the rate of creation of dead enzyme, d[ED]/dt, in terms of the initial concentration of enzyme, [ET], the concentration of dead enzyme, [ED], and the rate constants, k1, k-1, and k2. The resulting expression was [S]([ET]-
Zealduke
Suicide substrate. An Enzyme, E reacts with a substrate S to form an enzyme substrate-complex, ES is usual for Michaelis-Menten kinetics. However, the substrate in the enzyme-substrate complex chemically reacts with the enzyme to form a permanent covalent complex at the enzyme active site. The enzyme then becomes ED (dead enzyme). ED is no longer active and it does not turn over.

The reaction shceme is

E+S--> (k1) and <--- (k-1) ES---> (k2) ED

In this case [ET] -[ED]=[E] +[ES], where [ET] is the initial starting concentration of enzyme, [ED] is the concentration of dead enzyme,and [E] and [ES] are the concentration of viable enzyme that are respectively free and substrate bound.

Using the steady state approximation for [ES], as you would in the usual Michaelis-Menten scheme, derive an expression for the rate of creation of [ED]. That is, find d[ED]/dt. (Hint, your expression will contain the term {[ET]-[ED]} instead of the usual [ET]. Your expression also contains k1, k-1, k2)

I doubt I'm right on this...

d[ES]/dt = k1[E] - [ES](k-1 + k2)

d[ED]/dt = k2 [ES]

= k1([ET]-[ES]) - [ES](k-1 + k2)

Am I at least on the right track? If not I have a couple ideas to alternative solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zealduke said:
d[ES]/dt = k1[E] - [ES](k-1 + k2)

d[ED]/dt = k2 [ES]

These two expressions are correct and a good starting point.

= k1([ET]-[ES]) - [ES](k-1 + k2)

I'm not sure what you did to get here.

Anyway, the problem tells you to use the steady state approximation. What is the steady state approximation and what does it tell you about one of your equations?

Also, you want to write an expression for d[ED]/dt in terms of [ET], [ED], k1, k-1, k2, and . This means you need to find some way of expressing [ES] and [E] in these terms.

site screwed up my last post...

ok, so with steady state i can assume negligible change in ES

with ET-ED being the total enzyme I got:

([ET]-[ED]) = [ES] + [ES] ((k-1 + k2)/k1)

i hope this is a little closer than the last one.

Last edited:
Zealduke said:
site screwed up my last post...

ok, so with steady state i can assume negligible change in ES

with ET-ED being the total enzyme I got:

([ET]-[ED]) = [ES] + [ES] ((k-1 + k2)/k1)

i hope this is a little closer than the last one.

That looks correct. Now, you just have to combine this information with your equation for d[ED]/dt.

Yes, you are on the right track. Your expression for d[ED]/dt is correct. However, based on the given information, it is not possible to derive an expression for d[ED]/dt using the steady state approximation for [ES]. The steady state approximation assumes that the rate of formation of [ES] is equal to the rate of its consumption, which is not the case in this scenario. This is because [ES] is being consumed not only by the reaction with the substrate, but also by the reaction with the enzyme to form [ED]. Therefore, an alternative approach would be needed to derive an expression for d[ED]/dt. This could involve using the rate law for the formation of [ED] or considering the overall reaction scheme and using the law of mass action.

Related to Suicide substrate and kinetics

1. What is a suicide substrate?

A suicide substrate, also known as a mechanism-based inhibitor, is a type of molecule that binds to an enzyme and undergoes a chemical reaction that permanently inactivates the enzyme. This results in the enzyme being unable to catalyze any further reactions, essentially "committing suicide".

2. How does a suicide substrate work?

A suicide substrate works by mimicking the structure of the enzyme's natural substrate and binding to the enzyme's active site. Once bound, the substrate undergoes a chemical reaction that forms a covalent bond with the enzyme, rendering it inactive. This irreversible binding prevents the enzyme from catalyzing any further reactions.

3. What are the advantages of using a suicide substrate in enzyme research?

The use of a suicide substrate allows for the specific targeting and inactivation of a particular enzyme, providing valuable insights into its role in biological processes. Additionally, the irreversible nature of the inhibition allows for long-term effects, making it useful for studying enzyme kinetics and drug development.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using suicide substrates?

One potential disadvantage of using a suicide substrate is that it can also inhibit other enzymes that have a similar active site structure. This can lead to unintended effects and make it difficult to determine the specific role of the targeted enzyme. Additionally, the irreversible nature of the inhibition can make it challenging to reverse the effects if needed.

5. How is the kinetics of a suicide substrate different from a reversible inhibitor?

The kinetics of a suicide substrate differ from a reversible inhibitor in that the inhibition is irreversible. This means that the rate of the reaction is not dependent on the concentration of the inhibitor, as it is in reversible inhibition. Instead, the rate of reaction is dependent on the concentration of the enzyme, as well as the concentration of the substrate and the rate constant of the reaction.