Suggestions/tutorial to build clock-like lazy susan?

• Thread starter ebsseattle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, the conversation discusses building a simple turntable using a lazy susan and spokes to rotate an object for photography. Suggestions for materials and methods are presented, including using a gear and index plate or an index scale on the rim. The need for precision and automation is also addressed.
ebsseattle
I'd like to build a simple turntable using a lazy susan and a bunch of spokes (anywhere from 245-360) so that I can rotate the lazy susan one notch at a time and take a photo of an object sitting on tip of it. The goal is to hold a camera steady on a tripod and rotate the object.

Can anyone suggest materials to use to set this up without manually having to go in and split a circle in 250 parts and hand-drive 250 nails into the wheel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get a large gear with the right number of teeth and glue it to the lazy susan, then put just one bendy mail into the base plate as a catch.

Is it necessary that they are accurate within a low tolerance? What if you just drew out 360 radial lines in pencil and manually moved the base? If you were looking to animate it, it's not like a deviation of a 1/2 degree in one frame will be noticeable.

Stepper motor and a bit of DIY electronics is easiest way .

Otherwise :

(a) Use standard dividing engine methods - worm and wheel with index plate .

(b) Put an index scale on rim of turntable . Two methods:

Use a length of tape measure to make a loop and adjust diameter of turntable so that loop just fits over .
or
Print out a scale with suitable divisions on your printer (probably in sections) and fit as for tape measure loop . Alternatively fit as segments on the flat .

Yeah. Worm gear would work well. It can subdivide the increments of the larger gear into a fraction of a tooth.

Unless you say so, I don't think it needs to be automated.

Thanks for the suggestion. No, it doesn't need to be automated, and DaveC426913, it doesn't have to be mechanically precise. I just wanted something that has roughly even increments.

Related to Suggestions/tutorial to build clock-like lazy susan?

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a clock-like lazy susan?

When choosing materials for your clock-like lazy susan, it is important to consider the weight and durability of the materials. The base should be sturdy enough to support the weight of the lazy susan and any items that will be placed on it. Some common materials used for building a lazy susan include wood, plastic, and metal.

2. What tools do I need to build a clock-like lazy susan?

The tools needed for building a clock-like lazy susan will depend on the materials you choose. However, some basic tools you may need include a saw, drill, measuring tape, screws, and a screwdriver. You may also need sandpaper and a paintbrush if you plan on painting or staining the lazy susan.

3. How can I ensure the lazy susan spins smoothly?

To ensure that your clock-like lazy susan spins smoothly, it is important to use high-quality bearings or a lazy susan turntable. These can be found at hardware stores or online. It is also important to make sure the base and top of the lazy susan are level and that the bearings or turntable are properly installed.

4. Can I customize the design of my clock-like lazy susan?

Yes, you can definitely customize the design of your clock-like lazy susan to fit your personal style and needs. You can choose different materials, colors, and sizes to create a unique and functional lazy susan. You can also add decorative elements such as numbers or designs to the top of the lazy susan to make it resemble a clock.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should consider when building a clock-like lazy susan?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when building a clock-like lazy susan. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when using power tools. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for any tools or materials used. Finally, take your time and work carefully to avoid any accidents or injuries.

Back