Suggestions for books/authors (Fundamental Concepts Of Mathematics )

In summary, a recommended resource for learning about fundamental concepts of mathematics, including algebra of sets and logic, methods of proof, functions and relations, and the logical nature and structure of mathematics is the 3-volume set "Fundamentals of Mathematics" by Benke, Bachmann, et. al. Volume I, "Foundations of Mathematics," covers the real number system and algebra, and is a helpful overview for college-level mathematics.
paulmdrdo1
any suggestions for books/authors which contain these topics.

Fundamental Concepts Of Mathematics
Algebra of sets and logic; methods of proof; functions and relations; logical nature and structure of mathematics; introduction to number-theory; algebra arid geometry of complex numbers

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: suggestions for books/authors (Fundamental Concepts Of Mathematics )

One general reference I have enjoyed greatly is the 3-volume set:

Fundamentals of Mathematics, Benke, Bachmann et. al. (MIT press, translated from the German).

The 3 volumes are as follows:

Volume I:

Foundations of Mathematics
The Real Number System and Algebra

Volume II:

Geometry

Volume III:

Analysis

I think you would find Volume I especially helpful. It's not terribly in-depth, but it gives a good idea of the scope and power of the various "basic" mathematics used at the college level.

Related to Suggestions for books/authors (Fundamental Concepts Of Mathematics )

1. What are some good books for learning fundamental concepts of mathematics?

Some good books for learning fundamental concepts of mathematics include "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin, "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman, "Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science" by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" edited by Timothy Gowers.

2. Are there any particular authors who specialize in writing about fundamental concepts of mathematics?

Yes, there are many authors who specialize in writing about fundamental concepts of mathematics. Some notable ones include Keith Devlin, Ian Stewart, and Timothy Gowers.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both theory and practical applications of fundamental math concepts?

One book that covers both theory and practical applications of fundamental math concepts is "Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning" by A. D. Aleksandrov, A. N. Kolmogorov, and M. A. Lavrent'ev. It is a comprehensive and authoritative reference for mathematics.

4. Is there a book that focuses specifically on the fundamental concepts of geometry?

Yes, "Euclid's Elements" by Euclid is a classic book that focuses specifically on the fundamental concepts of geometry. It is a foundational work in the field and is still widely studied today.

5. Are there any online resources or ebooks available for learning fundamental concepts of mathematics?

Yes, there are many online resources and ebooks available for learning fundamental concepts of mathematics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and "Mathematics for Computer Science" by Eric Lehman, F. Thomson Leighton, and Albert R. Meyer.