Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Suggestions for algebra books.

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
what college algebra ebooks can you recommend, with exercises that are quite challenging. because i have some college algebra ebooks, but i find the exercises there not intellectually stimulating.( i'm asking about college algebra that are taught in undergraduate programs).

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
what college algebra ebooks can you recommend, with exercises that are quite challenging. because i have some college algebra ebooks, but i find the exercises there not intellectually stimulating.( i'm asking about college algebra that are taught in undergraduate programs).
Topics in Algebra by I. N. Herstein is a perfect book to read college algebra from. There are more advanced texts available too but if you are a beginner at college algebra I don't think there's a better book.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Topics in Algebra by I. N. Herstein is a perfect book to read college algebra from. There are more advanced texts available too but if you are a beginner at college algebra I don't think there's a better book.
@paulmdrdo: I'm not sure about your country, but here in the US, college algebra is a very much more basic course than abstract algebra. Here is a typical college algebra text. As you can see, the level of the material is somewhere between high school Algebra II and Pre-Calculus. This is opposed to abstract algebra, which is a junior or senior level mathematics course in college. caffeinemachine gave you one link to a typical abstract algebra book. My favorite is actually Abstract Algebra, by the same author.

Which kind of algebra did you have in mind in the OP?