Suggestion on intro texts to read

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore in undergrad working for an experimental particle physicist at their university. They are currently working on a cosmic ray stand and have attended group meetings and talks on neutrino experiments. The speaker wants to learn more about particle physics and is looking for recommendations on where to start. They have a basic foundation in physics but will need to fill in any missing knowledge as they go along. One suggestion is the Griffiths particle physics text.
DougUTPhy
Hello everyone,
I'm in my sophomore year of undergrad and I've recently started to do some work for an experimental particle physicist at my university. Right now he's really into neutrino oscillations (MINOS collaboration member) and neutrinoless double beta decay (NEMO3/SuperNEMO collaboration member), but I know he has a history with rare-decays. Right now I'm working with a group of undergrads on the construction of a cosmic ray stand (very early stages). I've been going to group meetings and heard a lot of talks from his grad students on the neutrino experiments and was initially completely lost! Now I've picked up on a little bit of the things they're looking for and what it means if they find them, but that's about it.
My physics education is pretty much intro mechanics, intro E&M, waves, a class on "modern physics" (pretty much special relativity, wave-particle duality, bohr model, and intro quantum), classical dynamics, the first of 2 advanced labs my school has us do, and my first class on quantum mechanics. Next semester the physics classes I'll be taking are classical electrodynamics and a second quantum class.

With that said -- I extremely want to learn the basics of particle physics, anything and everything, elementary particles, standard model etc etc -- anything. Where should I start (with the physics I've learned so far)? What would be a good read? I don't have any foundation right now, just a handful of random things (if that). I figured the people here would have quite a catalog to share!
Thanks for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths particle physics text seems like a logical text to start :) You should be OK on prerequisites, although you might find some quantum knowledge missing. That's alright though, just fill in as you go along, the book is fairly self-contained.

Related to Suggestion on intro texts to read

1. What are some good introductory texts to read as a scientist?

Some good introductory texts for scientists include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, and "The Double Helix" by James D. Watson.

2. What makes a good introductory text for scientists?

A good introductory text for scientists should provide a broad overview of the subject matter, be well-researched and based on scientific evidence, and be written in a clear and engaging manner. It should also be accessible to a wide range of readers, including those without a scientific background.

3. Are there any introductory texts specifically geared towards a certain field of science?

Yes, there are many introductory texts that focus on a specific field of science, such as "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene for physics, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot for biology, and "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan for astronomy.

4. Can I find introductory texts for free online?

Yes, there are many websites and online resources that offer free introductory texts for scientists, such as OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and the National Academies Press. However, it is important to verify the credibility and accuracy of these sources before using them.

5. How can I choose the best introductory text for my specific interests?

To choose the best introductory text for your interests, consider your field of study and the specific topics you are interested in. Research reviews and recommendations from other scientists in your field, and read sample chapters or reviews of the text to get a sense of its style and content. You can also ask for recommendations from colleagues or professors in your field.