Calculating Deceleration and Force in Circular Motion

In summary: The arrow moves at an angular velocity of 108 rev/s, an angular acceleration of -9.8 m/s^2, and an angular distance of 23.2 cm.
dphin
2 questions, that I just can't get and anyone's help would be greatly appreciated...

A belt runs on a wheel of radius 44cm. During the time the wheel takes to coast uniformly to rest from an initial speed of 1.8 rev/s, 29.5m of belt length passes over the wheel. Find:
(a) the deceleration of the wheel
(b) the number of revolutions it turns while stopping

A 6.2g arrow moving at 23.2 m/s strikes a watermelon and drills a 75cm hole straight through it. It takes the arrow 0.0375s to emerge from the watermelon. What is the average force that opposes the arrow's motion?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've tried doing.

It's also probably better to post one problem at a time.

Regarding the belt question...

I started with theta=r/s, so .44m/29.5m and got 0.015 rev.

To answer a. I used the final velocity squared= initial velocity squared + (2) (alpha)(theta) and got an answer of:
(1.8 rev/s)squared + (2)(alpha)(0.015 rev)
= 108 rev/s squared.

for b. wouldn't it just be 0.015 revolutions?

Any further help would be great?? Thanks a lot.

The wheel should make more than 20 revolutions.

Don't you think you should be using the circumference of the wheel somewhere?

Why are you dividing the diameter of the wheel by the length of belt?

I'm sorry, but I'm soooo confused! The circumference is 0.25 m, but then what?? I don't get it.

Originally posted by dphin
I'm sorry, but I'm soooo confused! The circumference is 0.25 m, but then what?? I don't get it.
So... the circumference is less that the radius? How did you calculate it?

Originally posted by dphin
Regarding the belt question...

I started with theta=r/s, so .44m/29.5m and got 0.015 rev.

To answer a. I used the final velocity squared= initial velocity squared + (2) (alpha)(theta) and got an answer of:
(1.8 rev/s)squared + (2)(alpha)(0.015 rev)
Several problems here. As NateTG discussed, you messed up the calculation of the number of revolutions. Also, recheck your use of that equation. Ask yourself: What's the final velocity? What's the sign of the acceleration?

Sorry about that, dumb mistake I didn't square the radius. Circumerence equals 1.22m (C=(2)(pie)(R^2). The accelerations is negative, therefore decreasing. Is it wrong to use theta=s/r? ...

You can measure "theta" (angular "distance") in revolutions or in radians, but don't mix them up. Be consistent.

Rewrite your kinematics equation with the correct final angular velocity, angular acceleration, and angular distance.

Thank you ...so far you're my favorite! Your clues lead me in a direction I can follow!

1. What is force in circular angular motion?

Force in circular angular motion refers to the push or pull on an object that causes it to move in a circular path. In this type of motion, the direction of the force is constantly changing, but its magnitude remains constant.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular angular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular angular motion, the centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity.

3. What is the equation for centripetal force?

The equation for centripetal force is F = mv2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object in circular angular motion?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the object's speed. This means that the faster an object moves in a circular path, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it in that path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular angular motion and its associated forces?

Some examples of circular angular motion and forces in everyday life include the motion of a car on a curved road, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum. In each of these cases, centripetal force is needed to keep the object moving in a circular path.