Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Suggestion for product

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi MarkFL,

I have an idea for vB4 product: limiting error emails to once per time frame.

As you know when any database crashes or some other issue arises it usually leads to 20-100 emails in a short burst that completely flood one's inbox. I think in these cases, one email is sufficient. I saw that there was a product like this for vB3, but I didn't see one for vB4. I think forum admins would really like this feature. :)

MarkFL

Pessimist Singularitarian
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
Hi MarkFL,

I have an idea for vB4 product: limiting error emails to once per time frame.

As you know when any database crashes or some other issue arises it usually leads to 20-100 emails in a short burst that completely flood one's inbox. I think in these cases, one email is sufficient. I saw that there was a product like this for vB3, but I didn't see one for vB4. I think forum admins would really like this feature. :)
Hey Jameson,

I found something that should work for us, as far as I can tell, here:

Suppress-o-matic - Stop database error spam

It requires hacking the core file "/includes/class_core.php" at a specified location, which I have verified exists in the vB 4.2.5 version. My question to you, which version of SQLite do we have installed?

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hey Jameson,

I found something that should work for us, as far as I can tell, here:

Suppress-o-matic - Stop database error spam

It requires hacking the core file "/includes/class_core.php" at a specified location, which I have verified exists in the vB 4.2.5 version. My question to you, which version of SQLite do we have installed?
Oh nice! My apologies, I think this didn't exist.

I just checked the AdminCP and I think we are using 3.7.17. Does that help or make sense?

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
Oh nice! My apologies, I think this didn't exist.

I just checked the AdminCP and I think we are using 3.7.17. Does that help or make sense?
According to the product thread, the code that has to be added to the core file is different for version 3.x, but someone has provided the change. I'll give it a try tonight. :)

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
Unfortunately, none of the code provided in that thread works correctly here. (No)

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
I was looking over the core file more closely, and I found that vB already has an error suppression algorithm in place (I don't know when this was added, but presumably after the code I tried was published), but it is hard coded to suppress errors reported within 60 seconds of each other. I edited that value to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) and ran a bad query several times during a 5 minute period and only received 1 db error email.

After the 30 minutes from the initial error report has elapsed, I'll run the bad query again to see if I get an email. :)

edit: After the initial 30 minutes expired, I ran the bad query several more times, and only received one additional db error email. This seems to be working. (Yes)

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
I've worked this into a vB product, which can be found here:

DB Error Suppression

Note: I've installed this here at MHB, and set the suppression to 1800 (30 minutes), but this can now easily be changed from within the AdminCP. (Yes)