Suggested book on solid state physics?

In summary, there are many options for books on solid state physics, each with varying levels of difficulty and focus. Some popular choices are Ashcroft and Mermins, Blakemore, Omar, Ziman, Kaxiras, McKelvey, Chaikin and Lubensky, Harrison, Ibach and Lueth, Dekker, Sze, Cardona, Rosenberg, Burns, Bube, Pierret, Turton, Marder, Philips, and Phillips. However, some readers suggest that Marder's book is not actually introductory and Ashcroft and Mermin's is not a graduate level book.
mtrl
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying solid state physics from the book by Kittel(8th ed). But in this book, the chapters are like a summary of each topic and detailed explanations do not exist. While proving a formula, several steps are omitted and just the results are given. For this reason i am looking for another book. Can you suggest me any book on solid state physics in which explanations, formula proofs etc are given in a much more detailed way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear brother, I am also like you studying Solid State Physics from Kittel's book. There are a lot of things in this book that I am unable to understand.

So, I searched the internet for the best Solid State book. Doing that, I came up with the following books and the following readers' opinions regarding them:

-Ashcroft and Mermins "is the best graduate level book"

-Blakemore "is at the same level as Kittel and just as readable, Both Kittels' and Blakemores' books have much more about semiconductors."

-M. A. Omar, Elementary Solid State Physics: Principles and Applications "is the best for undergraduates because the QM requirements are light"

-Ziman , Principles of the Theory of Solids "So readable"

-Kaxiras, Atomic and Electronic Structure of Solids "its a computational Solid State physics book."

-J. P. McKelvey, Solid State and Semiconductor Physics "it does not assume you know about Quantum Mechanics, ch 4 & 5 introduces QM. The first eight chapters cover approximately the same as Kittel and the last eight deal with semiconductor physics, it focuses in topics that you will need if you will study Semiconductor Physics"

-Chaikin and Lubensky, Principle of Condensed Matter Physics "both for introductory and advanced levels"

-Walter A. Harrison, Solid State Theory "one of the best"

-Ibach & Lueth "Introductory text, but is a little too thin and leaves out many important details"

-Dekker "so good for the beginner"

-Sze's books as well as Cardona's book "if you are interested in semiconductors"

-Rosenberg "focuses on physical interpretation rather than getting bogged down on the mathematics"

-Burns

-Bube, Electrons in Solids "a little bit too elementary"

-Pierret

-R. Turton, The Physics of Solids "slightly less advanced than Kittel and serves as a good introduction"

-Marder, Condensed Matter Physics "introductory"

-Philips, Phillips, Advanced Solid State Physics "bit more advanced"

msaleh87 said:
Dear brother, I am also like you studying Solid State Physics from Kittel's book. There are a lot of things in this book that I am unable to understand.

So, I searched the internet for the best Solid State book. Doing that, I came up with the following books and the following readers' opinions regarding them:

-Ashcroft and Mermins "is the best graduate level book"

-Blakemore "is at the same level as Kittel and just as readable, Both Kittels' and Blakemores' books have much more about semiconductors."

-M. A. Omar, Elementary Solid State Physics: Principles and Applications "is the best for undergraduates because the QM requirements are light"

-Ziman , Principles of the Theory of Solids "So readable"

-Kaxiras, Atomic and Electronic Structure of Solids "its a computational Solid State physics book."

-J. P. McKelvey, Solid State and Semiconductor Physics "it does not assume you know about Quantum Mechanics, ch 4 & 5 introduces QM. The first eight chapters cover approximately the same as Kittel and the last eight deal with semiconductor physics, it focuses in topics that you will need if you will study Semiconductor Physics"

-Chaikin and Lubensky, Principle of Condensed Matter Physics "both for introductory and advanced levels"

-Walter A. Harrison, Solid State Theory "one of the best"

-Ibach & Lueth "Introductory text, but is a little too thin and leaves out many important details"

-Dekker "so good for the beginner"

-Sze's books as well as Cardona's book "if you are interested in semiconductors"

-Rosenberg "focuses on physical interpretation rather than getting bogged down on the mathematics"

-Burns

-Bube, Electrons in Solids "a little bit too elementary"

-Pierret

-R. Turton, The Physics of Solids "slightly less advanced than Kittel and serves as a good introduction"

-Marder, Condensed Matter Physics "introductory"

-Philips, Phillips, Advanced Solid State Physics "bit more advanced"

This list covers many titles (nice mentioning Ziman's) but two things can noted (just my opinion), Marder book is not introductory, and Aschcroft & Mermin's is not a graduate text, it is the classic book and targets mainly undergraduates (and anyone else including graduates). Personally, I find Ashcroft & Mermin a good supplement to Kittel's.

Related to Suggested book on solid state physics?

1. What is the best book on solid state physics for beginners?

The best book for beginners would be "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel. It provides a comprehensive overview of the subject and is written in a clear and concise manner.

2. Can you recommend a book on solid state physics with advanced topics?

"Solid State Physics" by Neil Ashcroft and David Mermin is a highly recommended book for those looking for more advanced topics in solid state physics. It covers a wide range of topics including quantum mechanics, crystal structures, and electronic properties of materials.

3. Is there a book on solid state physics that includes practical applications?

"Solid State Physics: Principles and Applications" by John J. Quinn and Simon J. Hook is a great book for those interested in the practical applications of solid state physics. It covers topics such as semiconductors, magnetism, and optical properties of materials.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about solid state physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about solid state physics. Some popular ones include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. These platforms offer free courses and lectures on various topics related to solid state physics.

5. What is the recommended prerequisite knowledge for understanding a book on solid state physics?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is recommended for understanding a book on solid state physics. Additionally, some knowledge of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism would also be helpful in comprehending advanced topics.