Suggest a geometry for headphone's speaker system

In summary, the question is asking for a suggested geometry to assemble a speaker that works using magnetism. The speaker would use a varying voltage applied across a coil attached to a diaphragm in the field of a permanent magnet to create a force that moves the coil. The speaker would also have access to a signal, short coil, rod-shaped permanent magnet, and diaphragm. The motivation for the suggested geometry is to improve energy transfer compared to the commercial design. The poster is having difficulty with the motivation portion and has provided a drawing of their proposed geometry. They have been asked to show their attempt to solve the problem before receiving any further guidance.
mirreb9
Summary:: Suggest a geometry

Hello! I have difficulties with this question. It is translated from Swedish so if something's weird tell me.

The speakers in headphones often work with the help of magnetism, when a varying voltage is applied across a coil attached to the speaker membrane. The coil is in the field from a permanent magnet, so the current through the coil will create a force on the coil so that it moves. You have access to signal, short coil, rod-shaped permanent magnet and diaphragm. Suggest a geometry that can accomplish this. Motivate your answer.

I have mostly difficulties with the motivation part, i think i have made the right drawing.

(This is not the geometry used commercially. It has a different shape of the permanent magnet for more efficient energy transfer.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The translation isn't fluent.
Their saying, given an input signal, a short coil of wire, a rod-shaped permanent magnet, and a diaphragm, show how to assemble these parts and describe how it would work.

That said, this is a homework problem - so you need to show us your attempt to solve it before you get any direction from us.

See the homework guidelines here:
Guidelines

Likes mirreb9
.Scott said:
The translation isn't fluent.
Their saying, given an input signal, a short coil of wire, a rod-shaped permanent magnet, and a diaphragm, show how to assemble these parts and describe how it would work.

That said, this is a homework problem - so you need to show us your attempt to solve it before you get any direction from us.

See the homework guidelines here:
Guidelines

Thank you! I will look at the guidelines.

Welcome to the PF. I have moved your thread to the schoolwork forums for you. :smile:
mirreb9 said:
Summary:: Suggest a geometry

Hello! I have difficulties with this question. It is translated from Swedish so if something's weird tell me.

The speakers in headphones often work with the help of magnetism, when a varying voltage is applied across a coil attached to the speaker membrane. The coil is in the field from a permanent magnet, so the current through the coil will create a force on the coil so that it moves. You have access to signal, short coil, rod-shaped permanent magnet and diaphragm. Suggest a geometry that can accomplish this. Motivate your answer.

I have mostly difficulties with the motivation part, i think i have made the right drawing.

(This is not the geometry used commercially. It has a different shape of the permanent magnet for more efficient energy transfer.)

Thanks in advance!
It would help if we could see your drawing. Use the "Attach files" link in the lower left of the Edit window to add a PDF or JPEG file to show us your work so far. Please try to be sure that the image is clear and upright. Thanks. :smile:

Related to Suggest a geometry for headphone's speaker system

1. What is the best geometry for a headphone's speaker system?

The best geometry for a headphone's speaker system depends on various factors such as the type of headphones, the desired sound quality, and the intended use. There is no one-size-fits-all answer, and it is best to consult with a professional audio engineer for personalized recommendations.

2. How does the geometry of a headphone's speaker system affect sound quality?

The geometry of a headphone's speaker system plays a crucial role in determining the sound quality. The shape and size of the speakers, as well as their placement within the headphones, can impact the frequency response, soundstage, and overall balance of the sound. A well-designed geometry can result in a more accurate and immersive listening experience.

3. Can the geometry of a headphone's speaker system be customized?

Yes, the geometry of a headphone's speaker system can be customized to a certain extent. Some headphones come with adjustable speaker placement or interchangeable ear pads to alter the geometry. However, for more significant changes, it is best to consult with an audio engineer or purchase headphones with a specific geometry that meets your needs.

4. Are there any standard geometries used in headphone's speaker systems?

Yes, there are some standard geometries that are commonly used in headphone's speaker systems, such as over-ear, on-ear, and in-ear. Each of these geometries has its pros and cons, and the choice ultimately depends on personal preference and the intended use of the headphones.

5. How does the geometry of a headphone's speaker system impact comfort?

The geometry of a headphone's speaker system can significantly affect comfort. The size and shape of the speakers, as well as the material and design of the ear pads, can impact the fit and feel of the headphones. It is essential to consider the geometry when choosing headphones for long listening sessions or if you have specific comfort needs.