Sufficient Estimator for a Geometric Distribution

Your Name]In summary, Y = \prod X_i is a sufficient estimator of theta in the given case of a random sample from a geometric distribution. This is because Y contains all the information needed to accurately estimate theta, as it is drawn from a geometric distribution with a different parameter.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Let X1,..,Xn be a random sample of size n from a geometric distribution with pmf [tex]P(x; \theta) = (1-\theta)^x\theta[/tex]. Show that [tex]Y = \prod X_i[/tex] is a sufficient estimator of theta.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So [tex]\prod P(x_i, \theta) = (1-\theta)^{\Sigma x_i} \theta^n[/tex]

I don't believe that the factorization theroem can be applied here. Is there some trick to this that I'm not seeing?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can help you understand why Y = \prod X_i is a sufficient estimator of theta.

First, let's define what a sufficient estimator is. A sufficient estimator is a statistic that contains all the information about the parameter that we are trying to estimate. In other words, if we know the value of the sufficient estimator, we can make an accurate estimate of the parameter.

In this case, we are trying to estimate theta, which is the probability of success in a geometric distribution. The geometric distribution is a discrete probability distribution that models the number of trials needed to achieve the first success in a sequence of independent trials.

Now, let's look at the expression for Y = \prod X_i. This is a product of all the individual random variables X_i, which are each drawn from the geometric distribution with parameter theta. This means that Y is also drawn from a geometric distribution, but with a different parameter. Specifically, its parameter is (1-\theta)^n.

So, if we know the value of Y, we can easily calculate the value of theta using the formula for the geometric distribution. This means that Y contains all the information we need to estimate theta, and thus, it is a sufficient estimator.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why Y = \prod X_i is a sufficient estimator of theta. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I would like to first clarify the problem and the terms used. A geometric distribution is a discrete probability distribution that models the number of trials needed to achieve a success in a sequence of independent trials, where each trial has a constant probability of success. The pmf (probability mass function) for a geometric distribution is given by P(x; \theta) = (1-\theta)^x\theta, where x represents the number of trials and \theta represents the probability of success.

In this problem, we are asked to show that the product of the random sample X1,..,Xn is a sufficient estimator for \theta. A sufficient estimator is a statistic that contains all the information about the parameter of interest, \theta, contained in the sample. This means that if we know the value of the statistic, we can make accurate inferences about \theta without needing to know the entire sample.

To show that Y = \prod X_i is a sufficient estimator for \theta, we can use the factorization theorem. According to the theorem, a statistic T(X) is a sufficient estimator for a parameter \theta if and only if the joint probability distribution of the sample X can be factorized as f(x_1,..,x_n;\theta) = g(T(X);\theta)h(x_1,..,x_n), where g(T(X);\theta) does not depend on the sample and h(x_1,..,x_n) does not depend on the parameter \theta.

In this case, we can factorize the joint probability distribution as follows:

f(x_1,..,x_n;\theta) = \prod_{i=1}^n P(x_i;\theta) = \prod_{i=1}^n (1-\theta)^{x_i}\theta = (1-\theta)^{\sum_{i=1}^n x_i}\theta^n = g(T(X);\theta)h(x_1,..,x_n),

where T(X) = \prod X_i and g(T(X);\theta) = \theta^n and h(x_1,..,x_n) = (1-\theta)^{\sum_{i=1}^n x_i}. Thus, we have successfully factorized the joint probability distribution and shown that Y = \prod X_i is a sufficient estimator for \theta.

In conclusion, the product of the random sample X1,..,

Related to Sufficient Estimator for a Geometric Distribution

1. What is a geometric distribution?

A geometric distribution is a probability distribution that models the number of trials needed to achieve the first success in a series of independent and identical trials, where the probability of success remains constant.

2. What is a sufficient estimator?

A sufficient estimator is a statistical method or formula that uses a subset of data from a larger dataset to make accurate predictions about a population parameter. It contains all the necessary information about the population and can be used to estimate the parameter without needing the entire dataset.

3. How do you determine if an estimator is sufficient for a geometric distribution?

An estimator is considered sufficient for a geometric distribution if it can fully capture the information about the parameter of interest (e.g. probability of success) from the data. This can be determined using the Factorization Theorem, where the likelihood function of the data can be factored into two components: one that depends on the parameter and one that does not. If the estimator contains all the information about the parameter, then the likelihood function should only depend on the parameter and not the data.

4. What are some examples of sufficient estimators for a geometric distribution?

Some examples of sufficient estimators for a geometric distribution include the maximum likelihood estimator, the method of moments estimator, and the minimum variance unbiased estimator. These estimators use a subset of data (e.g. sample size and number of successes) to estimate the probability of success for a geometric distribution.

5. Why is it important to have a sufficient estimator for a geometric distribution?

Having a sufficient estimator for a geometric distribution allows for more efficient and accurate estimation of the population parameter. It also helps in reducing the amount of data needed for estimation, which can be useful when working with large datasets. Additionally, sufficient estimators allow for better understanding and interpretation of the underlying distribution and its parameters.