How's the earth bigger than the moon

In summary, the conversation discusses a picture of the Earth from the moon, where the Earth appears smaller than the moon. The question is raised about why this is the case, and it is explained that it may be due to the lens used to take the photograph. The conversation also includes a joke about the Earth being blown in two and sucked into a black hole.
Mk
In the picture of the Earth from the moon I have here:

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/20117422.jpg

If the Earth is the same distance away from the moon as the moon is from Earth (making it clear) and the Earth is so much bigger why is the Earth so small in the picture while the moon is so big in the sky. Yes, the Earth is is blown in two and the other half got suck into a black hole. But, you can still see how big the Earth is since the Earth is round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I correct that this is a joke? (Yes, I must be very dense to have to ask this question. It actually wasn't until I read the "Yes, the Earth is is blown in two and the other half got suck into a black hole." part that I tumbled to it!)

Yes the last part was a joke but the picture is real, why's the Earth smaller than the moon.

20117423.jpg

If you're serious...

You can't go by a photograph. If a photograph was taken using a lens with a comparatively small focal length, then the Earth will appear small. If you use a lens with a larger focal length, the Earth will appear bigger. Think of a zoom lens.

Last edited:
Intresting...

No further questions.

1. How much bigger is the Earth compared to the Moon?

The Earth is about 4 times bigger than the Moon in terms of diameter. The Earth's diameter is approximately 12,742 kilometers, while the Moon's diameter is 3,474 kilometers.

2. Why does the Earth appear bigger than the Moon in the sky?

The Earth appears bigger than the Moon in the sky because of its closer proximity to us. The Moon is about 384,400 kilometers away from Earth, while the Earth's distance from the Moon varies from 356,500 to 406,700 kilometers depending on its orbit.

3. How does the Earth's size affect its gravitational pull compared to the Moon?

The Earth's larger size results in a stronger gravitational pull compared to the Moon. The Earth's gravitational force is about 6 times stronger than the Moon's, which is why objects and beings have more weight on Earth.

4. What is the impact of the Earth's size on its atmosphere compared to the Moon?

The Earth's size plays a crucial role in its atmosphere. The Earth's gravity is strong enough to hold onto gases, creating a thick atmosphere that protects the planet and supports life. On the other hand, the Moon's weak gravity can only hold onto a very thin layer of gases called an exosphere.

5. How does the Earth's size contribute to its geological activity compared to the Moon?

The Earth's larger size results in more geological activity compared to the Moon. The Earth's internal heat, caused by its size and radioactive elements, drives plate tectonics and creates features such as mountains, volcanoes, and earthquakes. The Moon, being smaller and lacking internal heat, does not have as much geological activity.