Subtracting Equations: How to Solve for Unknown Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty in subtracting two equations and provides the equations involved: \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1 - \rho_2)g - 6\pi r\eta v_0 = 0 and \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1 - \rho_2)g - 6\pi r\eta v_1 - qE = 0. The expert suggests subtracting the second equation from the first to get a simplified equation of 6\pi\eta(v_0- v_1)+ qE= 0. This also helps clarify the involvement of other equations, resulting in F_e=
Looh
Hello!

I'm having trouble subtracting two equations, I'm not really sure how to go about it.

[itex]\\
\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1 - \rho_2)g - 6\pi r\eta v_0 = 0\\
\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1 - \rho_2)g - 6\pi r\eta v_1 - qE = 0[/itex]

For clarification, there are three different equations used.
[itex]\\
F_g = \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1 - \rho_2)g \\
F_f = 6\pi r\eta v_0\\
F_e = qE
[/itex]

Which gives:
[itex]\\
F_g - F_f = 0 \\
F_g - F_f - F_e = 0
[/itex]

This, in turn, results in [itex]F_e[/itex], or [itex]qE[/itex], but I'm sure that's wrong.How should I go about solving this?Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your difficulty is- just go ahead and subtract the second from the first:
[tex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1- \rho_2)g- 6\pi\eta v_0- \left(\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1-\rho_2)g- 6\pi\eta v_1- qE\right)= 0- 0= 0[/tex]
Rearranging (technically, using the "associative" and "commutative" laws) we have
[tex]\left(\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1- \rho_2)g- \frac{4\pi r^3}{3}(\rho_1- \rho_2)g\right)- \left(6\pi\eta v_0- 6\pi\eta v_1\right)+ qE= 0[/tex]

The the terms in the first parentheses are identical and so cancel. The terms in the second parentheses are almost identical but one has "[itex]v_1[/itex]" and the other "[itex]v_0[/itex]". We can factor out the other terms (distributive law), leaving [itex]6\pi\eta(v_0- v_1)[/itex]. That is, "subtracting the two equations" gives
[tex]6\pi\eta(v_0- v_1)+ qE= 0[/tex]

I'm not sure how your other equations are involved but certainly if you have [itex]F_g- F_f= 0[/itex] and [itex]F_g- F_f- F_e= 0[/itex] and you subtract the second from the first you have [itex]F_g- F_x- (F_g- F_x- F_e)= (F_g- F_g)- (F_x- F_x)+ F_e= F_e= 0[/itex] because the first two pairs cancel.

(Strictly speaking we do not define arithmetic operations for "equations" as we do for numbers, variables, and expressions. "Subracting equations" is shorthand for "subtracting each side of the equations".)

Related to Subtracting Equations: How to Solve for Unknown Variables

1. What is the purpose of subtracting two equations?

Subtracting two equations allows us to eliminate one variable and solve for the other variable. This is useful in solving systems of equations and finding the intersection point of two lines.

2. How do I subtract two equations?

To subtract two equations, we must first make sure that both equations are in the same form (standard form, slope-intercept form, etc.). Then, we can simply subtract the two equations term by term, canceling out any terms that are the same on both sides.

3. Can I subtract equations with different numbers of variables?

No, in order to subtract equations, they must have the same number of variables. If they do not, we must manipulate the equations to get them into the same form before subtracting.

4. What happens if I get a negative coefficient when subtracting equations?

If you get a negative coefficient when subtracting equations, it means that the variable has a negative coefficient in one of the equations and a positive coefficient in the other. This indicates that the lines represented by the equations are parallel and will never intersect.

5. Are there any other methods for solving systems of equations besides subtracting?

Yes, in addition to subtracting, we can also solve systems of equations using substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method may be more efficient depending on the specific equations given.