Substance that will librate CO2

• Thread starter chikis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: (1) which of the solutions W, X, Y, and Z will liberate carbon (IV) oxide from trioxocarbonate (IV) salt, and (2) which is better for making mortar between CaCO3 and CaO. The first question is deemed a trick question due to the absurd nomenclature used for CO2 and the fact that the solutions given (pH 2 and 4) would have already liberated their CO2. The second question is also considered misleading due to the incorrect options given (quicklime and ground calcium carbonate) and the fact that slaked lime (Ca(OH)2) is the actual component used in making mortar. Ultimately, it
chikis

Homework Statement

I have two questions:
(1) Suppose we have solution W, X, Y and Z. Their pH are 8, 12, 4 and 2 respectively, from the information given which of the solution W, X, Y and Z will liberate carbon (IV) oxide from trioxocarbonate (IV) salt?

(2) Between CaCO3 and CaO, which is best for making mortar?
I used to think that CaCO3 is good for making mortar simply because another name for it is lime stone which is used in making cement for building. Can CaO be used as well?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As question (1):
If you look at the pH scale, we know that acidity increases from 6 to 1 and 7 is neutral. In the other hand, basicity increases from 8 to 14. We all know that, acid react with trioxocarbonate (IV) salt to librate CO2. From the pH scale, we already know that substance Y and Z are acidic having a pH of 4 and 2 respectively. Because of this, Y and Z will librate CO2 from trioxocarbonate (IV) solution? But I still failed the test. Is there anything am missing?

As for question (2):
I used to think that CaCO3 is good for making mortar simply because another name for it is lime stone which is used in making cement for building. Can CaO be used as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
chikis said:

Homework Statement

I have two questions:
(1) Suppose we have solution W, X, Y and Z. Their pH are 8, 12, 4 and 2 respectively, from the information given which of the solution W, X, Y and Z will liberate carbon (IV) oxide from trioxocarbonate (IV) salt?

This sounds like a trick question. Your analysis is correct but you are given a solution of pH 2 and 4. Sounds like any trioxocarbonate salt (absurd nomenclature, BTW) would have already liberated its CO2, yes? Can these solutions release any more carbon (IV) oxide? More absurd nomenclature for CO2, BTW! You have been punked by a stupid question so don't worry about it. Carbon (IV) oxide! Give me a freaking break!

(2) Between CaCO3 and CaO, which is best for making mortar?

Another stupid question. Mortar is made with slaked lime (Ca(OH)2) not quicklime (CaO). Quicklime is used with special equipment only to make slaked lime for mortar or to stabilize expansive soils. If a mason were to use quicklime, he would burn his hands (they HATE that) and the mortar would heat and dry quickly adversely affecting bond strength. There are actually specifications keeping quicklime out of mortar and cements. Even hydrated lime is a bad actor in portland-type cement. Ground calcium carbonate is inert in cements and mortar and acts only as unreactive filler in those cases. Surprisingly, it is a fairly major component in some Type N and S mortars because it is cheap and easy to grind finely. Very misleading question unless you are studying mortars and cements in-depth.

chemisttree said:
This sounds like a trick question. Your analysis is correct but you are given a solution of pH 2 and 4. Sounds like any trioxocarbonate salt (absurd nomenclature, BTW) would have already liberated its CO2, yes? Can these solutions release any more carbon (IV) oxide? More absurd nomenclature for CO2, BTW! You have been punked by a stupid question so don't worry about it. Carbon (IV) oxide! Give me a freaking break!

Another stupid question. Mortar is made with slaked lime (Ca(OH)2) not quicklime (CaO). Quicklime is used with special equipment only to make slaked lime for mortar or to stabilize expansive soils. If a mason were to use quicklime, he would burn his hands (they HATE that) and the mortar would heat and dry quickly adversely affecting bond strength. There are actually specifications keeping quicklime out of mortar and cements. Even hydrated lime is a bad actor in portland-type cement. Ground calcium carbonate is inert in cements and mortar and acts only as unreactive filler in those cases. Surprisingly, it is a fairly major component in some Type N and S mortars because it is cheap and easy to grind finely. Very misleading question unless you are studying mortars and cements in-depth.

So between CaCO3 and CaO, which do you think is best for making mortar?

Quicklime would be very bad in mortar. Using it to make slaked lime putty would be very good. Using finely ground calcium carbonate as an inert filler is acceptable for making mortar but you need slaked lime to make a mortar that will harden. Both are correct in some sense. Quicklime can't be used directly whereas ground lime can. In my mind that makes calcium carbonate most correct in this case.

It is a very misleading, poorly-worded question, IMO. The question should have been a choice between Ca(OH)2 and CaCO3 as a hardener in mortar.

I think what you are referring to as ground lime is CaCO3. Or is that not what you mean?

Yes, that is what I meant. I should have written 'ground limestone' in post #4.

chemisttree said:
Quicklime would be very bad in mortar. Using it to make slaked lime putty would be very good. Using finely ground calcium carbonate as an inert filler is acceptable for making mortar but you need slaked lime to make a mortar that will harden. Both are correct in some sense. Quicklime can't be used directly whereas ground lime can. In my mind that makes calcium carbonate most correct in this case.

It is a very misleading, poorly-worded question, IMO. The question should have been a choice between Ca(OH)2 and CaCO3 as a hardener in mortar.
In my mind that makes calcium carbonate most correct in this case.
I quite agree with you that this is a poorly worded question and that calciulm carbonate is the most fitting for making mortar.

chemisttree said:
Yes, that is what I meant. I should have written 'ground limestone' in post #4.

Thanks for having interest in my thread!

Related to Substance that will librate CO2

1. What is a substance that will librate CO2?

A substance that will librate CO2 is any material that is capable of releasing or generating carbon dioxide gas through a chemical or physical process.

2. Why is a substance that will librate CO2 important?

A substance that will librate CO2 is important because carbon dioxide is a crucial component of the Earth's atmosphere and is essential for photosynthesis, which is the process that plants use to convert sunlight into energy.

3. What are some examples of substances that will librate CO2?

Some examples of substances that will librate CO2 include baking soda and vinegar, which produce carbon dioxide gas when combined, as well as yeast, which releases carbon dioxide during fermentation.

4. How does a substance that will librate CO2 contribute to climate change?

A substance that will librate CO2 contributes to climate change by adding to the overall amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which traps heat and leads to an increase in global temperatures.

5. Is there a way to reduce the amount of CO2 that is liberated by substances?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the amount of CO2 that is liberated by substances. This can be done through using alternative, more environmentally friendly materials or through carbon capture and storage technologies that capture and store CO2 emissions.