Subspace topology of Rationals on Reals

In summary, the subspace topology generated by taking the Rationals as a subset of the Reals can be visualized as infinite sets of rational numbers within open intervals, since each open set in ℝ is an open interval and the open intervals form a basis for ℝ. However, in the subspace topology, open singleton sets are not possible. Additionally, if \mathcal B is a bases for \mathbb R , then \left\{ U \cap \mathbb Q: U \in \mathcal B \right\} is a basis for \mathbb Q in the subspace topology.
dumbQuestion
I am trying to visualize the subsppace topology that is generated when you take the Rationals as a subset of the Reals.

So if we have ℝ with the standard topology, open sets in a subspace topology induced by Q would be the intersection of every open set O in ℝ with Q. Since each open set in ℝ is an open interval (a,b), and because between any two reals there are an infinite number of both rationals and irrationals, I'm picturing open sets in the subspace topology as infinite sets of rational numbers. What I mean is, you wouldn't ever have a singleton set. You'd have say, the infinite number of rationals included in any interval (a,b). Am I right in this thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
dumbQuestion said:
Since each open set in ℝ is an open interval (a,b)

I would be careful with this. The open sets of [itex] \mathbb R [/itex] are more than just the open intervals. The open intervals do form a basis for [itex] \mathbb R [/itex] though.

dumbQuestion said:
What I mean is, you wouldn't ever have a singleton set. You'd have say, the infinite number of rationals included in any interval (a,b). Am I right in this thought?

You can have a singleton set in [itex] \mathbb Q [/itex], but what I think you mean is that you can never have an open singleton set, which is correct. Furthemore, note that if [itex] \mathcal B [/itex] is a bases for [itex] \mathbb R [/itex] then [itex] \left\{ U \cap \mathbb Q: U \in \mathcal B \right\} [/itex] is a basis for [itex] \mathbb Q [/itex] in the subspace topology.

Related to Subspace topology of Rationals on Reals

1. What is the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals?

The subspace topology of Rationals on Reals is a topology on the set of rational numbers, which are a subset of the real numbers. This topology is induced by the standard topology on the real numbers, and it consists of all subsets of the rationals that can be represented as an intersection of an open set in the real numbers and the set of rationals.

2. How is the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals different from the standard topology on the real numbers?

The subspace topology of Rationals on Reals is a subset of the standard topology on the real numbers. This means that it contains fewer open sets than the standard topology. In fact, the only open sets in the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals are those that can be written as an intersection of an open set in the real numbers and the set of rationals.

3. What are the advantages of studying the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals?

The subspace topology of Rationals on Reals allows us to examine the properties of the rational numbers in isolation, without being influenced by the larger set of real numbers. This can be useful when studying specific properties of the rationals, such as their density or their order structure.

4. What are some applications of the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals?

The subspace topology of Rationals on Reals has applications in various fields of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and number theory. It can also be used in the construction of fractals and as a tool for understanding the behavior of certain dynamical systems.

5. Can the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals be extended to other sets of numbers?

Yes, the idea of a subspace topology can be extended to any subset of a topological space. In fact, the subspace topology of Rationals on Reals is just one example of many possible subspace topologies that can be defined on different subsets of the real numbers.