Subsolar magnetopause distance

• Thread starter Imagin_e
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the subsolar magnetopause distance when the distance to Earth is 0.4 AU. The person has all the necessary formulas and data, but their calculated value is too small. They mention the solar wind density, speed, and Earth's magnetic field, and attempt to solve the problem using the thermal pressure and magnetic field equations. However, they are not satisfied with the result and ask for help, but later mention that they have solved the problem on their own.
Imagin_e

Homework Statement

Hi!
I need to calculate the subsolar magnetopause distance (r_mp) when the distance to Earth is 0.4 AU. I have all the formulas and the data, but I still don’t get a reasonable value (it’s too small!)
Here is what I know:

Solar wind density: 5 cm^-3 (rho_sw)
Solar wind speed=400 km/s (u_sw)
Magnetic field at Earth’s surface= 5*10^-6 T (B_E)
u_0= magnetic constant permeability= 4*pi*10-7 T m/A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I start to calculate the thermal pressure:

p= rho_sw*(u_sw)^2

next, the magnetic field when the distance is 0.4 AU, where r= 1AU * 0.4:

B(0.4)=B_E*(R_E/r)And finally I use the following equation to get the distance I am searching for in term of Earth radius R_E:

(r_mp/R_E)=[(2*B(r)^2)/( u_0*p)]^1/6

But as I mentioned, the value is not “the right one”. Can I get help from someone?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it, so no need to help me :)

Related to Subsolar magnetopause distance

What is subsolar magnetopause distance?

Subsolar magnetopause distance is the distance between the subsolar point (the point on the Earth's surface where the Sun is directly overhead) and the magnetopause (the outer boundary of the Earth's magnetic field).

Why is subsolar magnetopause distance important?

Subsolar magnetopause distance is important because it helps us understand the interaction between the Earth's magnetic field and the solar wind. This distance can change depending on the strength and direction of the solar wind, and can affect the Earth's magnetosphere and ionosphere.

How is subsolar magnetopause distance measured?

Subsolar magnetopause distance is typically measured using spacecraft that are equipped with instruments to detect changes in the Earth's magnetic field. These spacecraft can also measure the strength and direction of the solar wind, which is an important factor in determining the subsolar magnetopause distance.

What factors can influence subsolar magnetopause distance?

The main factor that influences subsolar magnetopause distance is the strength and direction of the solar wind. Other factors that may play a role include the tilt of the Earth's magnetic field, the orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field, and the presence of solar storms or other space weather events.

How can understanding subsolar magnetopause distance contribute to scientific research?

Studying subsolar magnetopause distance can help scientists better understand the complex interactions between the Earth's magnetic field and the solar wind. This can lead to a better understanding of space weather and its effects on Earth, as well as potential applications in space exploration and technology development.