Exploring the Physics of Drumming: OS vs NS Techniques

• Thread starter Sko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses two conflicting points of view in drumming - the New School (NS) and the fading Old School (OS). The OS style is dominated by techniques that are more grounded in physics, placing their fulcrum closer to the center of gravity (CG) for better control and faster stick movement. The NS style places their fulcrum further from the end, allowing for more free vibration of the drumstick. The conversation also touches on the types of drum heads and their effects on sound, with kevlar being stiffer and producing a brighter sound, and mylar being more flexible and allowing for higher frequencies. The concept of moment of inertia is also briefly mentioned, though its relation to drumming is unclear.
Sko
In drumming there are 2 conflicting points of view-New School (1980's to present; referred to as NS from now on) and fading Old School (dominated 1960's-1970's; referred to as OS). OS's techniques are generally more founded in physics.

I'm going to go through some of the physics in drumming 1 issue at a time and was hoping for some of the more knowledgeable to eloborate/correct...

The OS place their fulcrum (thumb and forefinger) about an inch from the CG, and NS place their's usually about 2 inches from the end. Since rotational inertia (tendency of an object to resist change in its rotational state of motion) for an object rotating about its CG (OS style) is [tex]I=\frac{1}{12}mL^2[/tex] and [tex]I=\frac{1}{3}mL^2 [/tex] for a object rotating about its end, OS'ers will be able to start and stop their stick faster than NS'ers (more control).

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, now I have a question for you...

There are 2 main types of drum heads, kevlar and mylar. Kevlar is very stiff (used in bulletproof vests) and mylar is more flexible (used in weather ballons). Which can produce more variation in magnitude of sound (haven't done this in physics yet maybe not the right term)? If it's possible to explain which can produce clearer notes?

Re your second post, more compliant material allows higher frequencies, so I'm guessing the mylar heads will give a brighter sound.

Re your first post, you are leaving out some of the physics. The drumstick itself has vibration modes too. The NS technique places the fulcrum nearer the node, allowing the drumstick to vibrate more freely. My guess is that although this is nice when drumming close to the stick's natural frequency, it impedes other beat rates.

Density of the drum head is only one of the parameters which would effect the frequency of vibration. A drumhead can vibrate in many different modes. The mode of vibration determines the frequency and amplitud of the vibrations. Other factors are tension, how the head is fastened, area of the head and even where and how hard you strike the head.

Given equality in all other factors I believe that the denser material will vibrate at lower frequencies.

I would interpret "Clearer notes" to mean fewer harmonics. This is a hard one to call. More harmonics are generatated when greater forces are involved.

I am not sure how "Stiffness" enters into the equations, that would be different from density, perhaps someone else can add something.

I'm assuming stiffness would increase the force exerted on the head and the stick, but cut down on vibrations.

Here's a link that talks more about each type of head, though not in physics terms. http://www.drumdojo.com/kit/heads.htm

Also ever heard of moment of inertia and how it would relate to drumming?

Moment of intertia has to do with thing rotating, your drum stick has a moment of inertia that effects how it spins. Not sure that has anything to do with drumming, only the visual effects! :smile:

http://users3.ev1.net/~rbeckham/m1.jpg [Broken]

Heres an article that talks about it I am not sure I understand it tho...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between OS (Open Stroke) and NS (Natural Stroke) drumming techniques?

OS drumming involves striking the drum with an outward motion, while NS drumming involves striking with a downward motion. OS drumming produces a louder and more resonant sound, while NS drumming produces a softer and more controlled sound.

2. Which drumming technique is more efficient in terms of energy and muscle use?

Studies have shown that NS drumming requires less energy and muscle use compared to OS drumming. This is because the downward motion of NS drumming utilizes the natural weight of the drumstick, reducing the amount of force needed to produce a sound.

3. How do these drumming techniques affect the sound produced?

OS drumming produces a louder and more resonant sound due to the outward motion of the drumstick, which allows for more rebound off the drumhead. NS drumming produces a softer and more controlled sound due to the downward motion, which allows for more precision and control over the sound produced.

4. Are there any differences in the biomechanics of OS and NS drumming?

Yes, there are differences in the biomechanics of these two drumming techniques. OS drumming requires the use of larger muscle groups and a longer range of motion, while NS drumming utilizes smaller muscle groups and a shorter range of motion. This can affect speed, endurance, and precision in drumming.

5. Which drumming technique is more commonly used in professional drumming?

Both OS and NS drumming techniques are commonly used in professional drumming, with some drummers incorporating a combination of both techniques in their playing. Ultimately, the choice of technique depends on personal preference and the desired sound and style of the drummer.