Lifters: How the Biefeld-Brown Effect Works

• Thread starter username
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, these experiments show that ionic wind is a significant source of lift for lifters, although other components may be involved.
username
Lifters use the Biefeld-Brown effect see:
http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm

I understand that some of the lift is created by ionic wind but there must be another component as there is a video in which a piece of cardboard is placed in-between the anode and cathode with no noticable loss in lift.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey username,
I looked at this before but not really that closely. I assumed this was a simple HV repulsion device [having made so many myself]. It appears to me that ionic wind is the only means of lift. I didn't see the video with the cardboard - can you tell me which one it is - but I would think at 30KV this is no problem. I will have to view the configuration to be sure.

Well can't find the original video but this url contains similar experiments http://jlnlabs.imars.com/lifters/inthebox/ [Broken]

I am still in the 'Electric Charge,Forces and Fields' section in my physics book, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Have you ever made a lifter with a >= 50KV power supply, is there any reason why this would not be practical?

EDIT: Contrary to his claims, I do not think this experiment disproves ionic wind as the primary thrust. However I think these experiments do.
http://jlnlabs.imars.com/lifters/rototube/index.htm [Broken]
http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/ttbekp.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get all this crap about lifters not using ionized air. If they want to prove it all they have to do is calculate the thrust drop (if any, I'm assuming there will be) when the entire atmosphere is rarified. I have on many occaisons thought of doing this and someday I may actually get around to it :-)

I know it is annoying, I unfortunatly don't have the space (or money atm) to do any tests. Post your results here if you ever get around to doing some ;)

1. How do lifters work?

The Biefeld-Brown effect, also known as electrohydrodynamics (EHD) propulsion, is the principle behind lifters. It involves creating a high voltage electric field between two electrodes, which ionizes the surrounding air and produces a thrust force that can lift the lifter off the ground.

2. What materials are needed to make a lifter?

To make a lifter, you will need a high-voltage power source, such as a capacitor or a power supply, two lightweight electrodes (often made of wire or foil), and a lightweight frame to support the electrodes. You may also need a source of ionizable gas, such as air or helium.

3. Can lifters be used for practical applications?

Currently, lifters are mostly used for demonstration and research purposes. However, there have been some proposals for practical applications, such as using lifters for atmospheric research or as a means of propulsion for small aircraft or spacecraft. Further research and development is needed to make lifters a viable option for practical use.

4. How does the Biefeld-Brown effect differ from traditional propulsion methods?

The Biefeld-Brown effect does not require any moving parts or combustion, making it a potentially more efficient and environmentally friendly method of propulsion. However, it currently produces very low thrust and is not as powerful as traditional propulsion methods, such as jet engines or rockets.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with lifters?

As with any high-voltage experiment, there is a risk of electric shock when working with lifters. It is important to follow safety precautions and use proper equipment when building and testing lifters. Additionally, the use of ionizable gases can also pose a potential risk, so proper ventilation is necessary.