Submodule of a cyclic R-module

• Thread starter mesarmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a PID (principal ideal domain) and its relation to cyclic R-modules and their submodules. The fundamental theorem for finitely generated R-modules over a PID is mentioned as a tool for understanding this relationship. It is stated that a submodule of a cyclic R-module is also cyclic. The conversation also clarifies that in order for a submodule to be cyclic, its generators must be independent and the corresponding ideal in the ring must be 1-generated. This leads to the conclusion that the ring being a PID makes the last implication impossible. The speaker expresses gratitude for the information and clarifications provided.
mesarmath
hi,

i want to show that If R is a PID then a submodule of a cyclic R-module is also cyclic.

do i need to use fundamental theorem for finitely generated R-module over R PID ?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The module will be a direct sum of cyclic modules (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_theorem_for_finitely_generated_modules_over_a_principal_ideal_domain).The module is cyclic or 1-generated,say by g .Let the submodule contain independent generators (x1,x2,..,xn).If y1 = r1*x1 +...rn*xn = ug
and y2 = s1*x1+...sn*xn = vg were independent , the corresponding ideal (u,v) in the ring will not be 1-generated. This is impossible, as the ring is a PID.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eynstone said:
The module will be a direct sum of cyclic modules (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_theorem_for_finitely_generated_modules_over_a_principal_ideal_domain).The module is cyclic or 1-generated,say by g .Let the submodule contain independent generators (x1,x2,..,xn).If y1 = r1*x1 +...rn*xn = ug
and y2 = s1*x1+...sn*xn = vg were independent , the corresponding ideal (u,v) in the ring will not be 1-generated. This is impossible, as the ring is a PID.

thanks so much

but your last implication was not so obvious, at least for me :)

but i did it myself

thanks a lot again

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Submodule of a cyclic R-module

1. What is a submodule of a cyclic R-module?

A submodule of a cyclic R-module is a subset of the original module that is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and also contains the zero element. It is generated by a single element, known as the generator, and is therefore a cyclic module.

2. How is a submodule of a cyclic R-module related to a cyclic R-module?

A submodule of a cyclic R-module is a subset of the original module that is generated by a single element, which is also the generator of the entire module. This means that every element in the submodule can be expressed as a multiple of the generator, similar to a cyclic module.

3. How can I determine the generator of a submodule of a cyclic R-module?

The generator of a submodule of a cyclic R-module can be found by taking any element in the submodule and repeatedly applying the addition and scalar multiplication operations until all elements in the submodule are generated. This is known as the cyclic property of a submodule.

4. Can a submodule of a cyclic R-module have more than one generator?

No, a submodule of a cyclic R-module can only have one generator. This is because the submodule is generated by a single element, which is also the generator for the entire module. If there were multiple generators, then the submodule would not be considered cyclic.

5. What is the difference between a submodule and a subring of a cyclic R-module?

A submodule is a subset of a cyclic R-module that is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and is generated by a single element. A subring, on the other hand, is a subset of the ring that is closed under both addition and multiplication. A submodule is a special case of a subring, as it only needs to be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.