SU(2) Spin-1/2 Representation Question

In summary, it is determined that the Pauli matrices, when multiplied by a factor of 1/2, form an irreducible representation of the SU(2) algebra in 2 dimensions. This is due to the fact that the binary operation in an algebra gets mapped to itself, and the matrices must preserve the relationship defined in the algebra. Thus, the Pauli matrices satisfy the necessary conditions to form a viable representation of the SU(2) algebra.
Xenosum
In Howard Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics (and other texts I'm sure), it is determined that the Pauli matrices, [itex]\sigma_1[/itex] [itex]\sigma_2[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_3[/itex], in 2 dimensions form an irreducible representation of the SU(2) algebra.

This is a bit confusion to me. The SU(2) algebra is given by
[tex] \left[ J_j, J_k \right] = i\epsilon_{jkl}J_l , [/tex]
where [itex]J_i[/itex] are the generators. Meanwhile, the Pauli matrices satisfy:
[tex] \sigma_a \sigma_b = \delta_{ab} + i\epsilon_{abc} \sigma_c . [/tex]
But this implies that the zero generator gets mapped to the identity operator in the spin-1/2 SU(2) representation, because [itex]\left[ J_a, J_a \right] = 0[/itex], while [itex]\sigma_a \sigma_a = 1[/itex].

Isn't it a condition for any representation of an algebra for the identity element in the algebra to get mapped to the identity operator?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, nevermind.

Firstly it's not exactly the Pauli matrices which form a representation of the SU(2) algebra; rather it is the Pauli matrices multiplied by a factor of 1/2.

Moreover I was mistaken in generalizing the concept of a representation of a group to the concept of a representation of an algebra. In a group, the binary operation always gets mapped to matrix multiplication, no matter what it is. Apparently for an algebra it's a bit different: the binary operation gets mapped to itself, and the matrices are taken to preserve the relationship which is defined on the algebra. Since the Pauli matrices satisfy
[tex] \left[ \frac{1}{2}\sigma_a, \frac{1}{2}\sigma_b \right] = i \epsilon_{abc}\frac{1}{2} \sigma_c , [/tex]
they form a viable representation of the SU(2) algebra.

Sorry~

1. What is the SU(2) Spin-1/2 representation?

The SU(2) Spin-1/2 representation is a mathematical framework used to describe the properties of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons and protons. It is a way of representing the possible orientations of the particle's spin in three-dimensional space.

2. What does the "SU(2)" in the representation stand for?

SU(2) stands for "Special Unitary Group of degree 2". It is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of two-dimensional space.

3. How is the SU(2) Spin-1/2 representation related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles can have a property called spin, which is a fundamental aspect of their nature. The SU(2) Spin-1/2 representation is a mathematical tool used to describe and analyze the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in quantum systems.

4. What are the applications of the SU(2) Spin-1/2 representation?

The SU(2) Spin-1/2 representation has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum systems. It is used to understand the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, as well as in the development of quantum computing and quantum information theory.

5. Are there other representations besides SU(2) for spin-1/2 particles?

Yes, there are other representations, such as the Pauli spin matrices and the Dirac spinor representation. Each representation has its own advantages and is used in different contexts in physics.