SU(2) as a normal subgroup of SL(2, C)

In summary, SU(2) is a normal subgroup of SL(2,C) when acting on H3 with the chordal metric in its conformal boundary (Riemann sphere). This is because the group of automorphisms of the Riemann sphere is isomorphic to SL(2,C), and every orientation-preserving isometry of H3 corresponds to a Möbius transformation on the Riemann sphere. However, when considering Lie algebras, it is not as straightforward to determine if SU(2) is a normal subgroup of SL(2,C), as SL(2,C) has no nontrivial ideals and SU(2) is complex.
TrickyDicky
SU(2) matrices act isometrically on the Riemann sphere with the chordal metric. At the same time the group of automorphisms of the Riemann sphere is isomorphic to the group SL(2, C) of isometries of H 3(hyperbolic space) i.e. every orientation-preserving isometry of H 3 gives rise to a Möbius transformation on the Riemann sphere and viceversa.
Does this make SU(2) a normal(or even characteristic) subgroup of SL(2, C) when acting on H 3 with the chordal metric in its conformal boundary(Riemann sphere) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe giving some more context to my question would help getting replies.
I'm referring always to the special case of the groups acting on H3 or CP1, I'm aware than when acting on Rn the only normal subgroup of SL(2, C) is {+/-I}.

It may be easier to do it with Lie algebras. Let's see how a normal subgroup translates into Lie algebras. Here's the definition of a normal subgroup. H is a normal subgroup of G if for every g in G and h in H, g.h.g-1 is also in H. Furthermore, the g.h.g-1 values are all of H.

If G and H are Lie groups, we can go to Lie algebras. g = 1 + ε*L + ..., h = 1 + ε*M + ... where L and M are members of algebras A and B. Turning normal-subgroupishness into algebra language, B is a subalgebra of A and for all L in A and M in B, [L,M] is in B and spans B. Or for short, [A,B] = B. Thus, B is an ideal of A.

So we have to find some ideal of the algebra SL(2,C) that is isomorphic to the algebra SU(2). They are all real combinations of these basis sets, where the σ's are Pauli matrices:
SU(2): {i*σx, i*σy, i*σz}
SL(2,C): {σx, σy, σz, i*σx, i*σy, i*σz}

I suspect that SL(2,C) has no nontrivial ideals, and thus that SU(2) is not a normal subgroup of SL(2,C).

lpetrich said:
It may be easier to do it with Lie algebras...
Yes but Lie groups global structure is in general not uniquely determined by their Lie algebras, except for some cases like the simply connected real groups Lie algebras, SL(2, C) is complex.

I would agree with the statement that SU(2) is a normal subgroup of SL(2, C) when acting on H 3 with the chordal metric in its conformal boundary (Riemann sphere). This is because normal subgroups are those that are preserved under conjugation by all elements of the larger group. In this case, since every orientation-preserving isometry of H 3 gives rise to a Möbius transformation on the Riemann sphere and vice versa, the elements of SU(2) are preserved under conjugation by all elements of SL(2, C). Therefore, SU(2) can be considered a normal subgroup of SL(2, C) in this context.

Related to SU(2) as a normal subgroup of SL(2, C)

1. What is SU(2) as a normal subgroup of SL(2, C)?

SU(2) is a special unitary group of 2x2 complex matrices with a determinant of 1. It is a subgroup of the special linear group SL(2, C), which consists of all 2x2 complex matrices with a determinant of 1. As a normal subgroup, SU(2) is closed under matrix multiplication and contains the identity matrix, and its elements commute with those of SL(2, C).

2. How is SU(2) related to SL(2, C)?

SU(2) is a subgroup of SL(2, C), meaning that all elements of SU(2) are also elements of SL(2, C). However, not all elements of SL(2, C) are in SU(2). SU(2) is a normal subgroup of SL(2, C), meaning that it is invariant under conjugation by elements of SL(2, C).

3. What is the significance of SU(2) as a normal subgroup?

SU(2) as a normal subgroup has important applications in quantum physics and representation theory. It is used to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics, and its representations are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems.

4. How is SU(2) related to other special groups?

SU(2) is a subgroup of the special orthogonal group SO(3), as well as the special unitary group SU(3). It is also isomorphic to the group of quaternions, a four-dimensional number system. However, it is not a subgroup of the general linear group GL(2, C).

5. Can SU(2) be used in practical applications?

SU(2) has many practical applications in physics and engineering, including quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and control theory. It is also used in the standard model of particle physics to describe the weak interaction. Its representations are also used in computer graphics and animation to rotate 3D objects.