SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations

In summary, SU(2)_V and SU(2)_A transformations refer to infinitesimal transformations that act on the left and right-handed components of a Dirac spinor. The former transforms them in the same way while the latter transforms them with a phase that differs by a minus sign. These transformations can be decomposed into vectorial and axial parts, with the former forming an SU(2) subgroup and the latter being a rest class. In a chirally symmetric theory with massless fermions, the associated Noether currents are vectors and axial vectors under space reflections and are both isovectors.
bob2
Within my project thesis I stumbled over the term SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations. Although I know U(1)_V, U(1)_A transformations from the left and right handed quarks( U(1)_V transformations transform left and right handed quarks the same way, while U(1)_A transformations transform them with a phase which just differs by a minus sign) I have no idea what vectorial /axial stands for in the SU(2) context.
Thank you again so much in advance,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to explain with the corresponding Lie algebras, i.e., for "infinitesimal transformations". You start with the ##\mathrm{SU}(2)_L \times \mathrm{SU(2)_R## transformations, which act independently on the left and right-handed parts of the Dirac spinor
$$\psi_R=\frac{1+\gamma^5}{2}, \quad \psi_L=\frac{1-\gamma_5}{2}.$$

An arbitrary infinitesimal transformation acts like
$$\delta \psi_R = \delta \vec{\alpha} \cdot \vec{\tau} \psi_R, \quad \delta \psi_L=\delta \vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{\tau} \psi_L,$$
where ##\vec{\tau}=\vec{\sigma}/2## with the Pauli matrices acting in spinor space.
Now you can decompose these infinitesimal transformation in a different, i.e., in one that acts in the same way on both the left and the right handed component and one that acts differently. To that end we write
$$\delta \psi = \mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\alpha} \cdot \vec{\tau} \frac{1+\gamma^5}{2} \psi + \mathrm{i} \delta \vec{\beta}| \cdot \vec{\tau}_L \frac{1-\gamma^5}{2} \psi =
\frac{\mathrm{i}}{2} (\delta \vec{\alpha}+\delta \vec{\beta}) \cdot \vec{\tau} \psi + \frac{\mathrm{i}}{2} (\delta \vec{\alpha}-\delta \vec{\beta}) \gamma^5 \psi.$$
Now define
$$\delta \vec{\alpha}_V=\frac{1}{2} (\delta \vec{\alpha}+\delta \vec{\beta}), \quad \delta \vec{\alpha}_A=\frac{1}{2} (\delta \vec{\alpha}+\delta \vec{\beta})$$
Then the transformation reads
$$\delta \psi = \mathrm{i} (\delta \vec{\alpha}_V \cdot \vec{\tau}_V + \delta \vec{\alpha}_A \cdot \vec{\tau}_A) \psi, \quad \vec{\tau}_V=\vec{\tau}, \quad \vec{\tau}_A=\vec{\tau} \gamma^5.$$
Note that the ##\vec{\tau}_V## build an su(2) subalgebra (and it's exponential thus an SU(2) subgroup) of the chiral group, while the ##\vec{\tau}_A## don't form a sub algebra/group but a rest class of the group.

If you have a chirally symmetric theory (of then necessarily massless fermions), the corresponding Noether currents are
$$\vec{j}_V^{\mu} = \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \vec{\tau} \psi, \quad j_A^{\mu} = \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \vec{\tau} \gamma^5 \psi,$$
which are vectors and axial vectors under space reflections, respectively and both are isovectors.

Related to SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations

What is SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformation?

SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformation is a type of symmetry transformation that is used in physics to describe the behavior of fundamental particles. It involves rotations and reflections in a four-dimensional space and is an important concept in the study of quantum field theory.

How is SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformation related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformation is a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics. It is used to describe the interactions between subatomic particles and is essential in understanding the behavior of these particles in different physical processes.

What is the difference between SU(2)_V and SU(2)_A transformations?

SU(2)_V and SU(2)_A transformations are two different types of symmetry transformations, but they are closely related. SU(2)_V is a vector transformation, which involves rotating particles in a four-dimensional space, while SU(2)_A is an axial transformation, which involves reflecting particles in a four-dimensional space.

How are SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations used in experimental physics?

SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations are used in experimental physics to study the behavior of subatomic particles. By analyzing the outcomes of different physical experiments, scientists can determine the properties and interactions of these particles, which are described by SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations.

What is the significance of SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations in quantum mechanics?

SU(2)_V, SU(2)_A transformations are essential in quantum mechanics as they help to explain the behavior of fundamental particles at the subatomic level. They are used to describe the symmetries and interactions of particles, which are crucial in understanding the laws of quantum mechanics and predicting the outcomes of experiments.