Sturm-Liouville Equation. Question about different forms.

• Thread starter DiogenesTorch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, there are two different forms of the Sturm-Liouville equation, one with a negative sign and one without. However, it does not seem to make a significant difference as the negative sign can be absorbed into the function. Some texts may use the negative sign for convenience, but it does not seem to have a practical advantage in solving the equation. Overall, the use of the negative sign does not appear to have a significant impact in Sturm-Liouville theory.
DiogenesTorch
I have noticed the following 2 different forms for the Sturm-Liouville equation online, in different texts, and in lectures.

[itex][p(x) y']'+q(x)y+\lambda r(x) y = 0[/itex]

[itex]-[p(x) y']'+q(x)y+\lambda r(x) y = 0[/itex]

Does it make a difference? I am guessing not as the negative can just be absorbed into function [itex]p(x)[/itex]?

But I am still scratching my head as to why some texts use the negative sign in front of the 1st term. Is there some advantage to doing so?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is much difference. In fact, I think the difference is the same as the difference between people who like to eat a special food with different sauces!

lol the extra special sauce.

Seriously though I just wondered if somewhere the use of the negative sign has some sort of a practical reason. Like for example when solving partial differential equations using the separation of variables method, we sometimes for convenience stick a minus sign in front of eigenvalue/"separation constant."

DiogenesTorch said:
lol the extra special sauce.

Seriously though I just wondered if somewhere the use of the negative sign has some sort of a practical reason. Like for example when solving partial differential equations using the separation of variables method, we sometimes for convenience stick a minus sign in front of eigenvalue/"separation constant."
I sometimes do things with Sturm-Liouville theory and I don't put that minus sign there and never encountered a problem which can be solved by that minus sign!

Shyan said:
I sometimes do things with Sturm-Liouville theory and I don't put that minus sign there and never encountered a problem which can be solved by that minus sign!

Cool just wondered if it ever mattered. Thanks Shyan much appreciated :)

Related to Sturm-Liouville Equation. Question about different forms.

1. What is the Sturm-Liouville equation?

The Sturm-Liouville equation is a second-order linear differential equation that is commonly used in mathematical physics. It is named after mathematicians Jacques Charles François Sturm and Joseph Liouville, who independently derived the equation in the 19th century.

2. What are the different forms of the Sturm-Liouville equation?

The Sturm-Liouville equation can be written in several different forms, depending on the problem at hand. Some common forms include the homogeneous form, the nonhomogeneous form, and the eigenvalue form. Each form has its own set of boundary conditions and solutions.

3. What are the applications of the Sturm-Liouville equation?

The Sturm-Liouville equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving heat transfer, diffusion, vibration, and quantum mechanics. It is also used to model systems with a continuous spectrum of eigenvalues, such as vibrating strings and quantum harmonic oscillators.

4. How is the Sturm-Liouville equation solved?

The Sturm-Liouville equation is typically solved by finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the equation. This involves applying boundary conditions and using techniques such as separation of variables and the method of Frobenius. Numerical methods, such as the finite difference method, can also be used to solve the equation.

5. What is the importance of the Sturm-Liouville equation?

The Sturm-Liouville equation is an important tool in mathematical physics and engineering. It allows for the solution of complex differential equations, which are often used to model physical systems. The equation also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as spectral theory and the theory of orthogonal polynomials.