StumbleUpon is a nifty little browser plug in

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary: AZ or AZ for that matter!This is a debate that has been going on for years. Utah does not border New Mexico, Arizona, or Arizona.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
http://www.stumbleupon.com/" is a nifty little browser plug in, which directs you to some great pages when clicked, based on your interests.

It's a nice plug in when you're bored and want to browse the web for fun.

As an example of some interesting sites this plugin showed me,
http://www.stetson.edu/~efriedma/numbers.html
Secret Worlds
Puki 3d (Online 3d flash game)

and even
How to Fold your shirt in 2 seconds :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool. I didn't register because I'm on W's computer and don't feel like setting up the iBook right now. Will investigate tomorrow.

Danger said:
Cool. I didn't register because I'm on W's computer and don't feel like setting up the iBook right now. Will investigate tomorrow.
Be careful. One of my associates' sons once loaded a similar thing on his computer, and neither of them could get it off again. It took me almost half a case of beer to finally get rid of it for him.

There's a lot of harmless toys of that nature around, but even those that are harmless (as was the one in my case) can be almost impossible to deinstall.

Side note: in that case, it was actually trivial to deinstall once you found the intructions on how to do so. But it was one fo those applications that shows you the instructions once when you install it, then never again. I only found the instructions by tracing through the dlls looking for text strings.

twisting_edge said:
Be careful. One of my associates' sons once loaded a similar thing on his computer, and neither of them could get it off again. It took me almost half a case of beer to finally get rid of it for him.

Yeah that's always a concern with plugins.

This one is trivially easy to uninstall in firefox. It's also easy to uninstall it from ie. I don't know about the other browsers though.

Anyway, here's another fantastic site. This one is about creating and simulating movement, using masses, springs and "muscles". It's really fun!
http://www.sodaplay.com/constructor/player.htm

http://www.johnkyrk.com/
This one is on cell biology animations.

P.S If it's ok with the mods, can I use this thread as a collection of the nice science links I come across?

Stumpleupon has been around for yonks, its not malware so don't worry about it. Its actually rather fun and I for one have found some cool sites I wouldn't have done before using that.

It's pretty cool. I actually have been getting a fair number of hits from stumbleupon.

yes this is back from the dead, but since stumbleupon has grown so much, I am making a shameless plea for those who use it to click "I like it" and write a short review. thanks!

I so much hate StumbleUpon :grumpy:

I had it last year, and after stumbling continuously for like hours, I would get pages like http://mdesmond.com/end-of-the-internet/ so I uninstalled it.

Thanks for reminding me of it! Now, I installed it again and got this page again It makes me feel as if I have no life :mad:

edit: jks.

I got horrible spyware on my computer because of overstumbling...yes, it's that addictive. It was really my fault for not updating my anti-virus software. Oh well, lesson learned.

siddharth said:
As an example of some interesting sites this plugin showed me,
http://www.stetson.edu/~efriedma/numbers.html

I thought you only needed 3 colors for any map, not 4?
EDIT:

And what the hell is this?

Website said:
8930 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 0.
8931 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 1.
8932 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 2.
8933 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 3.
8934 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 4.
8935 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 5.
8936 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 6.
8937 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 7.
8938 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 8.
8939 = 8888 + 9 + 33 + 9.

Someone got REALLY lazy.

I saw the T-shirt folding technique somewhere else and was so amazed I had to learn how to do it myself. I showed my kids what I'd learned to do and they were ... well, not quite as impressed as I'd anticipated.

WarPhalange said:
I thought you only needed 3 colors for any map, not 4?
What's the criteria? Can't have two sides the same color overlapping or can't have to states the same color touching? (Four corners area of Colorado, NM, Arizona, and Utah would violate the second).

BobG said:
What's the criteria? Can't have two sides the same color overlapping or can't have to states the same color touching? (Four corners area of Colorado, NM, Arizona, and Utah would violate the second).
Don't under the first criterion (two sides...) but the second one is what appears in the four color theorem.

BobG said:

I call BS on that, as a New Mexican in the Four Corners area, I say Utah DOES NOT BORDER NM...

What is StumbleUpon?

StumbleUpon is a browser plug-in that allows users to discover new and interesting web content with just the click of a button.

How does StumbleUpon work?

StumbleUpon uses a combination of user preferences and algorithms to recommend web content that the user may find interesting. Users can also personalize their experience by selecting topics of interest and following other users with similar interests.

Is StumbleUpon free to use?

Yes, StumbleUpon is completely free to use. However, there may be sponsored content or advertisements that users can choose to engage with or ignore.

Can I use StumbleUpon on any browser?

StumbleUpon is compatible with most popular browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. However, it is not available for Internet Explorer.

Is StumbleUpon safe to use?

StumbleUpon takes user privacy and safety seriously. Any personal information collected is used for the sole purpose of improving the user's experience. Additionally, users have control over the type of content they see and can report any inappropriate content or behavior.