Studying up on an aspect of perturbation theory

In summary: When children get a lot of headaches, usually the first thing they check is their eyesight.i get a lot of headahe when i sleep too much...the pain is killing ...when it starts i go mad..i wake my mom and she presses it and then i feel some rest...i think death better than the pain which i feel..pls tell me ...what is this?When children get a lot of headaches, usually the first thing they check is their eyesight. When adults get headaches, they might also check for other potential causes, such as muscle tension or eyestrain.
Mentat
I was studying up on an aspect of perturbation theory, and I must have strained something (there's something about Hilbert spaces that I just can't get my head around...sorry, bad joke), because I have a really bad headache now.

I was wondering what a headache is, and how we get them. I know we can't feel our brains, so I was wondering why it is that the pain feels like it's inside my head.

Any input or link would be appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's an explanation from Scientific American:
http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=000D1F90-1AC0-10AE-9AC083414B7FFE9F&catID=3

Moonbear said:
Here's an explanation from Scientific American:
http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=000D1F90-1AC0-10AE-9AC083414B7FFE9F&catID=3

Thanks, Moonbear!

One question: How could my focusing on a math problem (for example) have any causal relation with my headache (or, could it?)?

Mentat said:
Thanks, Moonbear!

One question: How could my focusing on a math problem (for example) have any causal relation with my headache (or, could it?)?

A few ways I can think of off the top of my head (groan...no pun intended). It could be eyestrain from reading too long, muscle tension from getting mildly stressed that you can't wrap your head around that difficult problem, or something like neck or back strain from just sitting with your head bent over the desk too long. Or all three! :eek:

Hope your head feels better. :frown:

mentat, i suffered for years with headaches, to a point where i would avoid reading. i just got a pair of reading glasses, and it is so much more fun to read and i have no more headaches! if you are studious and do a lot of reading, i would think about having your eyes checked.

Kerrie said:
mentat, i suffered for years with headaches, to a point where i would avoid reading. i just got a pair of reading glasses, and it is so much more fun to read and i have no more headaches! if you are studious and do a lot of reading, i would think about having your eyes checked.

Actually, I already wear glasses, but I'm way over-due for a new prescription.

that might be part of the problem mentat...good luck in getting them checked.

Yep, needing glasses or wearing the wrong prescription can cause headaches. When children get a lot of headaches, usually the first thing they check is their eyesight.

i get a lot of headahe when i sleep too much...the pain is killing ...when it starts i go mad..i wake my mom and she presses it and then i feel some rest...i think death better than the pain which i feel..pls tell me ...what is this?

Related to Studying up on an aspect of perturbation theory

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the solution of a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, solvable parts. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to study systems that are not easily solved using traditional methods.

2. Why is perturbation theory important in scientific research?

Perturbation theory allows us to study complex systems and phenomena by simplifying them into solvable parts. This allows for a deeper understanding of these systems and can lead to more accurate predictions and models.

3. What are the basic assumptions of perturbation theory?

The basic assumptions of perturbation theory include the system being studied is small or slightly altered from a known, solvable system, and the perturbing factors are small compared to the overall system. Additionally, the perturbing factors must be independent of each other.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is most effective when the perturbing factors are small and the system is not highly nonlinear. It may not accurately predict the behavior of systems with large perturbations or chaotic behavior. It also relies on the initial assumptions being accurate, which may not always be the case.

5. What are some applications of perturbation theory in science?

Perturbation theory has a wide range of applications in science, including quantum mechanics, astrophysics, fluid dynamics, and nonlinear systems. It is also used in engineering to study stability and control in systems such as aircraft and spacecraft.