Studying Spivak: Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom, Worth It?

• Thread starter SeReNiTy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, Calculus by Spivak is a comprehensive and detailed book on vector calculus and differential geometry. Though long, it is highly recommended for those interested in either field.
SeReNiTy
After studying Calculus by Spivak, I was enlightened by his writing style. Just wondering is his books "Calculus on Manifolds" and "Introduction to Differential Geometry Volume 1" worth purchasing if i plan to study diff geom?

Physics news on Phys.org
calcuus on manifolds is a small readable book for a small price. it is highly recommended.

the 5 volume book on differential geometry is a classic, especially volume 2 which translates and explains riemanns own original treatment of the curvature tensor, there is nothing like it anywhwere else.

but it is up to you to decide if a 5 volume 2000-3000 page is worth it to you. at best it will take you years to read all of it. i suggest starting with volumes 1 and 2.

or look at it in the library.

I have never found anything like Spivak (although Apostol and Courant are great for calculus as well). "Calculus on Manifolds" is pretty much the definitive treatment of vector calculus for those planning to study differential geometry. As said above, his comprehensive treatment of differential geometry is a classic and contains just as many insightful exercises and exacting yet intuitive definitions and theorems as his previous works, but is very long! :D Don't try to learn the subject from there unless you plan to take a few years. Get a shorter companion book to differential geometry as well. These volumes will then help you master the subject.

notice his comprehensive book really is comprehensive. it covers a lot besides diff geom proper. the whole first volume is on differentiable manifolds and related topics, including algebraic topology via differential forms, i.e. de rham theory, and i believe a tiny sample of lie groups.

he throws in problems with hints on useful topics like comoputing the dimension of avrious matrix groups. it is very sueful.

then volume 2 is the classic on gauss and riemanns work with modern explanatiions. this is actually as far as the course went. the next three volumes wre written afterwards.

vol 3 is a treatment of classical surfaces in 3 spoace i believe. 4 i don't know, and 5 is i believe on characteristic classes via forms, cherns original approach by the way, culminating in the general gauss bonnet theorem. there is also a section called a word from our sponsor on pde.

Related to Studying Spivak: Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom, Worth It?

1. Is studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom" worth the time and effort?

Yes, studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom" is definitely worth the time and effort. This book is considered a classic in the field of mathematics and has been used by many students and researchers to gain a deep understanding of calculus on manifolds and differential geometry. It is a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to these topics and will greatly benefit anyone interested in pursuing higher level mathematics or related fields.

2. How does Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom" compare to other textbooks on the same topic?

Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom" is widely considered to be one of the best textbooks on the topic. It is known for its clear and concise explanations, rigorous proofs, and challenging exercises. It also covers a wide range of topics and introduces advanced concepts in a manageable and accessible way. Many students and researchers have found this book to be superior to other textbooks in its depth and clarity.

3. Can studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom" help with other areas of mathematics?

Yes, studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom" can greatly benefit one's understanding of other areas of mathematics, such as topology, differential equations, and abstract algebra. The concepts and techniques taught in this book are essential for many advanced mathematical topics and can also be applied to other fields, such as physics and engineering.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics before studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom"?

While a strong background in mathematics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics before studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom". This book is designed to be accessible to students with a solid foundation in basic calculus and linear algebra. However, it may require some extra effort and dedication to fully grasp the material for those with less experience in mathematics.

5. How can I make the most out of studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom"?

To make the most out of studying Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds & Diff Geom", it is important to actively engage with the material and not simply read through it passively. This includes attempting the challenging exercises, seeking help when needed, and reviewing the material regularly. It can also be helpful to supplement your learning with other resources, such as lectures or online tutorials. With dedication and perseverance, studying this book can greatly enhance your understanding of calculus on manifolds and differential geometry.