Studying for math test - A few things I dont understand

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding the values of a and b in a cubic equation with given factors, as well as finding the remaining factor. The two possible methods to solve this problem are using the fact that the remaining factor will be of the form (x-z) and using the given roots to set up a system of equations and solve for a and b. However, there seems to be a mistake in the solution using the second method and it is suggested to try again.
MadmanMurray
I have a math test coming up and I have last years test in front of me for a study guide. I can do most of the questions on this test and I know the theory behind everything on it but here's a couple of questions that I can't seem to get right.

Q1) If (x + 1) and (x - 2) are factors of x3 + 2x2 + ax + b find the values of a,b E(that greek symbol that looks like a rounded E) R, and find remaining factor.
I assumed that to find a and b I would have to plug each root -1 and 2 into the equation so I have 2 simultaneous equations but it didn't work out for some reason.

Heres what I did
(-1)3 + 2(-1)2 + a(-1) + b = 0 =>a - b = 1
did the same with the other root and got
2a + b = 16

by elimination I got A=17/3 and B=5 but these don't seem to plug into the equation. Am I going about this question the right way?

Also it asks me to find the last factor. I know I can do that by dividing the factors I have into the equation but is that the quickest method to obtaining the final factor when you already have 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it 2 ways,

1) you know that (x+1) and (x-2) are factors of that cubic, therefore you know the last root is real too (conjugate pairs and such) so it will be of the form (x - z)

So x^3 + 2x^2 + ax + b = (x+1)(x-2)(x-z), figure it out :)

2) since (x+1) and (x-2) are roots of that equation, then if we define

f(x) = x^3 + 2x^2 + ax + b, then f(-1) = f(2) = 0

Therefore -1 + 2 - a + b = 0 i.e. 1 - a + b = 0 which gives us a - b = 1 as you said

and

8 + 8 + 2a + b = 0 i.e. 16 + 2a + b = 0 which is the same as 2a + b = -16 which is not what you have. Maybe you want to try again?

I would recommend first double checking your calculations to ensure that you have the correct values for a and b. It is possible that there was an error in your calculations, which is why the values you obtained do not seem to work when plugged into the equation. If you are still unable to find the error, I would suggest seeking help from a teacher or tutor to review your approach and calculations.

As for finding the last factor, dividing the known factors into the equation is a valid method, but there may be other methods that could be quicker. I would recommend researching and exploring different techniques for finding the remaining factor, such as using the remainder theorem or the rational root theorem. It is important to have a good understanding of various techniques and strategies for problem solving in math, as it can help you approach different types of questions more efficiently.

In addition, I would suggest practicing with more practice problems to strengthen your understanding and application of the concepts. This will also help you identify any common errors you may be making and improve your problem solving skills.

Overall, it is important to approach math problems with a clear and logical mindset, double check your calculations, and seek help when needed. With practice and a strong understanding of the concepts, you will be able to tackle any math problem with confidence.

Related to Studying for math test - A few things I dont understand

1. What are some tips for studying for a math test?

Some tips for studying for a math test include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and seeking help from a tutor or classmate if needed.

2. How can I better understand the concepts I struggle with?

One way to better understand concepts you struggle with is by reviewing the material regularly and actively engaging with it. This can include taking notes, creating study guides, and working through practice problems.

3. What should I do if I am running out of time to study?

If you are running out of time to study, prioritize the topics and concepts that you struggle with the most. It may also be helpful to focus on key formulas and equations rather than trying to memorize everything.

4. Is it better to study alone or in a group?

This can vary for each individual, but studying with a group can be beneficial for discussing and clarifying concepts and working through problems together. However, studying alone can also allow for more focused and personalized studying.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying for a math test?

To stay motivated while studying for a math test, set specific and achievable goals, take breaks when needed, and remind yourself of the benefits of doing well on the test. Additionally, try to find ways to make the material more interesting and engaging, such as creating flashcards or using real-world examples.