Studying for Intro Astronomy Exam: Galileo & Star Spectral Class

In summary, Galileo discovered some moons of Saturn, 2 moons of Mars, and 4 moons of Jupiter, as well as the telescope. The most important property of a star in determining its spectral class is its surface temperature.
University
Hello All,

I am studying for my introductory astronomy exam and I came about these two question;

Galileo discovered

a) radioactivity b) some moons of saturn c) 2 moon of Mars d) some moons of Jupiter e) the telescope

I know he discovered 4 moons of Jupiter but "some" is a bit tricky. He definitely discovered the telescope. Not sure which to choose

Also, The most important property of a star in determining its spectral class is

a) surface temp
b) mass
c) luminosity
d)composition
e) age

I think A

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Some moons of Jupiter, definitely. He didn't invent the telescope, merely used it spectacularly.

Thanks

Related to Studying for Intro Astronomy Exam: Galileo & Star Spectral Class

1. How do I prepare for an intro astronomy exam on Galileo?

To prepare for an intro astronomy exam on Galileo, it is important to review the major contributions and discoveries made by Galileo in the field of astronomy. This includes his observations of the moons of Jupiter, his support for the heliocentric model of the solar system, and his development of the telescope. It is also helpful to practice using the equations and concepts related to Galileo's work.

2. What are the key concepts to know about Galileo for an astronomy exam?

The key concepts to know about Galileo for an astronomy exam include his observations of the moons of Jupiter and their implications for the heliocentric model of the solar system, his experiments with falling objects and the concept of inertia, and his development of the telescope and its impact on our understanding of the universe.

3. How did Galileo's work impact the field of astronomy?

Galileo's work had a significant impact on the field of astronomy. His observations of the moons of Jupiter and the phases of Venus provided evidence for the heliocentric model of the solar system, challenging the prevailing belief in the geocentric model. His experiments with falling objects and his development of the telescope also revolutionized our understanding of motion and the universe, paving the way for modern astronomy.

4. What is the significance of star spectral class in astronomy?

Star spectral class is a system used to classify stars based on their temperature, color, and composition. This classification system helps astronomers understand the characteristics and evolution of different types of stars. It also provides valuable information about the age and distance of stars, as well as their potential for hosting habitable planets.

5. How can I study for the star spectral class portion of an intro astronomy exam?

To study for the star spectral class portion of an intro astronomy exam, it is important to review the different types of stars and their characteristics, as well as the main spectral classes (O, B, A, F, G, K, and M). It is also helpful to practice identifying and interpreting star spectra, which can be found in textbooks or online resources. Additionally, understanding the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram and its relationship to star spectral class can aid in studying for this topic.