Studying for Calculus-based Physics

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student taking Calculus-based Physics using a specific textbook and their search for supplemental books to help them better understand the subject and improve their performance. Suggestions were made for high school level texts, the 'For Dummies' Physics book, and Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics. Another recommendation was the Feynman lectures for a deeper understanding of the subject.
uchicago2012
I'm taking Calculus-based Physics using the Fundamentals of Physics text by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. I took a full year of Calculus a year ago and did well (an A the first two quarters and a B+ the last quarter). I've never taken Physics before though, so some of the concepts are a bit foreign to me.

I was wondering if there are any supplemental books anyone would recommend for reading with this class? I was considering buying the 'For Dummies' Physics book, but I don't know if that would be at a high enough level for this class.

Any ideas?

Also, should I work more problems than just all of the ones in the textbook? I made the mistake of only doing the homework problems and I'm pretty sure I just failed my first test (thank goodness we can drop our lowest grade, though it would have been much more preferable to save that for a harder exam).

I'm annoyed with myself - if I'd had more time, I'm positive I could have solved all of the problems, so clearly the issue is one of practice. So a book that has even more practice problems with answers that I can solve would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
uchicago2012 said:
I was wondering if there are any supplemental books anyone would recommend for reading with this class? I was considering buying the 'For Dummies' Physics book, but I don't know if that would be at a high enough level for this class.

Any ideas?

Yes , if you have never seen physics before , you can buy a high school level text and read it . Also there is a book called conceptual physics and you can search for it in amazon . for dummies series may be useful

If you actually have the dedication to do extra problems, then I'd recommend Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics. It covers all of your intro physics and then some.

Personally I found the instructor-assigned homework in my intro classes was more than adequate, so I'm a bit surprised you're looking for more work :D

I concur with JaWiB, Schaum's outlines and solved problems books are good if you need to practice. But if what you are seeking is a deeper understanding of the subject, since you said you already have some knowledge on Calculus, I would recommend the Feynman lectures. He explains everything with great detail and it is definitely for a calculus-based physics class.

There are three volumes, the first one would be the analogous to the Halliday one, so take a look at this first volume in your library ;)

I would recommend seeking out additional resources to supplement your understanding of Calculus-based Physics. It is great that you have a strong background in Calculus, but Physics is a different subject that requires its own set of skills and knowledge.

For additional reading materials, I would suggest looking for textbooks specifically designed for Calculus-based Physics or books that focus on problem-solving strategies for Physics. The "For Dummies" book may be helpful for some basic concepts, but it may not cover the depth and rigor required for your class. You can also ask your professor or classmates for recommendations on supplementary materials that have helped them in the past.

In terms of practice problems, it is always beneficial to work on more than just the assigned homework problems. I would suggest looking for textbooks or online resources that offer a variety of practice problems at different levels of difficulty. It is also important to review and understand the solutions to these problems, as it can help improve your problem-solving skills.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself for not doing well on your first test. It takes time and practice to fully grasp the concepts in Physics. Use this experience as a learning opportunity and focus on improving your understanding for future exams. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Studying for Calculus-based Physics

1. What topics should I focus on when studying for calculus-based physics?

The key topics to focus on when studying for calculus-based physics are mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. These topics cover the fundamental principles of physics and are essential for understanding more complex concepts.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying for calculus-based physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for calculus-based physics depends on your individual learning style and abilities. However, on average, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per week outside of class reviewing material and practicing problems.

3. What resources can I use to help me study for calculus-based physics?

There are many resources available to help you study for calculus-based physics, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and exams, study groups, and tutoring services. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and use them consistently throughout the semester.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in calculus-based physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in calculus-based physics is through practice. Make sure to work through as many problems as possible, and if you get stuck, try to break the problem down into smaller parts and use the concepts you have learned to solve them. Additionally, seeking help from your instructor or peers can also be beneficial.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying for calculus-based physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when studying for calculus-based physics include not starting early enough, not reviewing material regularly, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to understand the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas and to not underestimate the amount of time and effort required for this subject.