Study on Propeller Spin Rate vs. Wind Angle of Attack: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter jessiem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the speaker needs help with their physics project which involves investigating the relationship between the rate of the propeller spin and the angle of attack of the wind. They plan to change the variable by adjusting the angle of the flap facing the wind generated by a fan. They will use a motion detector to record the motion and are seeking advice on the best material for the propeller, how to change the angle of attack, and how to make the wind strong enough to spin the propeller. A suggestion is given to use a light plastic propeller from a novelty or hobby store and devise a way to adjust the angle.
jessiem
Hey guys I need a little help with my physics project
It's a private investigation, and I've decided that my topic would be:
The rate the propeller spins vs. the angle of attack of the wind.
Ive decided to change the variable by changing the angles the flap faces towards the wind (generated by a fan).
I can record the motion by using a motion detector on the computer, thanks to the physics department of out school..
So basically what I need to know is:
what would be the best way to make the propeller (what material)
How would I change (by rotating the flap maybe?) the angle of attack
How can I make it so the wind gernerated by a normal electric fan is strong enough to make the propeller spin

AND any useful suggestions..? :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a light plastic. You ought to be able to buy such a thing at a novelty store or, if you can't find such, go to a hobby store and ask about propellors for model airplanes. Get the largest one you can. Now, remove the propellors (carefully!) from the hub and devise a way of attaching them to a hub at different angles.

Hi there! Your project sounds really interesting and I'm glad to hear that you have access to resources from your school's physics department. Here are some tips and techniques that may help you with your study on propeller spin rate vs. wind angle of attack:

1. Material for the propeller: The best material to use for your propeller would be lightweight and durable, such as balsa wood or plastic. These materials are commonly used in model airplanes and are ideal for your project.

2. Changing the angle of attack: One way to change the angle of attack is by using a flap or a rudder attached to the propeller. You can use a servo motor to control the movement of the flap and change the angle of attack accordingly. Another option is to manually adjust the angle of attack by hand, but this may not be as precise.

3. Generating strong wind: Electric fans may not generate strong enough wind to spin the propeller at a desired rate. You can try using a more powerful fan or even a leaf blower to generate stronger wind. You can also experiment with different distances between the fan and the propeller to find the optimal distance for maximum wind force.

4. Data collection: As you mentioned, using a motion detector is a great way to record the motion of the propeller. Make sure to calibrate the detector before each trial and to keep all other variables constant (such as distance from the fan, wind speed, etc.).

5. Suggestions: Here are some additional suggestions that may help you with your project:

- Try to keep all other variables constant, such as wind speed, distance from the fan, and the weight of the propeller.
- Conduct multiple trials for each angle of attack to ensure accurate data.
- Consider plotting your data on a graph to see the relationship between propeller spin rate and wind angle of attack.
- You can also try using different types of propellers to see if there is any difference in their spin rate at various wind angles.

I hope these tips and techniques will help you with your project. Good luck!

Related to Study on Propeller Spin Rate vs. Wind Angle of Attack: Tips and Techniques

1. What does "Need a bit of help ^^" mean?

"Need a bit of help ^^" is a phrase commonly used to express the need for assistance or support in a particular situation.

2. Who might use the phrase "Need a bit of help ^^"?

This phrase can be used by anyone who is facing a challenge or difficulty and requires some assistance.

3. What kind of help is typically needed when using this phrase?

The type of help needed can vary depending on the situation, but it often involves needing advice, guidance, or practical support.

4. Is there a specific context in which "Need a bit of help ^^" is used?

No, this phrase can be used in any context where someone requires assistance, whether it be in personal, academic, or professional situations.

5. How can I offer help to someone who says "Need a bit of help ^^"?

You can offer your support by asking how you can assist, offering advice or resources, or simply lending an empathetic ear. It's always best to ask the person directly how you can be of help, as everyone's needs and preferences may differ.