Study in local state University without TA'ship or try again next year

In summary, the person is considering studying for a Ph.D in Physics at their state university but has concerns about funding and wanting to study elsewhere for a change. They are also unsure about waiting for another year to improve their GRE scores. The advice given is to not take on student loans and to consider volunteer work or a part-time job to support themselves while studying. It is also suggested to keep working in the field while applying for admission again next year.
Changnoi
Greetings Physicists,

I've been accepted to study at my state University for my Ph.D in Physics.

I reticent to accept however for two reasons;

1. They are not offering me a TA'ship immediately. This means I would have to finance at least my first year with student loans and work study.

2. I would like to study elsewhere for the sake of variation and breadth.

I have not received offers from anywhere else and though there is one University I'm still waiting to hear from, it is likely that if I do not begin my Ph.D now I will have to work for a year attempting to improve my GRE scores enough to be worth an offer.

It occurs it me however that the year might be better spent in my field rather than taking an engineering job or moving for a Physics job I don't intend to keep.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not do it unless you can fully support yourself with work study or a part time job. Do not get indebted for graduate studies. Maybe try to do volunteer work with the profs there if it is close to you.

If you're lucky enough to get a physics or engineering job (not trivial, as I am finding out), you should keep it and try applying for next year. It is what I am (trying) to do since I didn't get full admission anywhere yet (I am on a waitlist but its doubtful they'll take me at this stage).

Related to Study in local state University without TA'ship or try again next year

1. What are the benefits of studying in a local state university without a TA'ship?

Studying in a local state university without a TA'ship can provide a more affordable option for higher education. It also allows for the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through internships or part-time jobs. Additionally, it can provide a better work-life balance as there is less pressure to balance teaching and research responsibilities.

2. How does studying without a TA'ship affect future career prospects?

While having a TA'ship may provide more research experience, studying without one does not necessarily hinder future career prospects. Employers often value practical skills and experience, which can be gained through other avenues such as internships or part-time jobs. Furthermore, studying at a reputable university without a TA'ship can still provide a strong academic background.

3. Are there any disadvantages to studying without a TA'ship?

One potential disadvantage is the financial burden of paying for tuition without the financial support of a TA'ship. Additionally, students may not have as much exposure to research opportunities or networking opportunities within the university. However, these can be mitigated by seeking out other forms of financial aid and actively seeking out research or networking opportunities outside of the university.

4. Should I try again next year for a TA'ship or accept the offer to study without one?

This decision ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and priorities. If you are financially unable to afford another year of tuition, it may be best to accept the offer to study without a TA'ship. However, if you are determined to gain research experience and are willing to take on the financial burden, it may be worth trying again for a TA'ship.

5. Can I still change my mind and apply for a TA'ship during my studies?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a TA'ship during your studies. Some universities may offer TA positions to students based on their academic performance or through a competitive application process. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to apply for research assistant positions or other forms of financial aid within the university.