Stuck with calculating torque needed for Robot servo motion

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum torque required by a motor shaft to spin a mass at the end of a rod. It is determined that the torque is equal to the inertia times the angular acceleration, but there may also be an additional component of torque due to the gravitational weight of the mass. The conversation concludes that the torque required to overcome gravity should be added for the worst case scenario, but speed does not affect the maximum torque caused by gravity or rotational inertia.
Robo3
Hi there,

I was wondering if you could help me with a quick problem. I should probably know this but for some reason I am getting confused between different points of view:

If I wanted to calculate the maximum torque required by a motor shaft to spin a mass at the end of a rod connected to the motor shaft I would use the eqn:

Torque = inertia*angular acceleration

However would there not also be an extra component of torque due to the gravitational weight of the mass?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the axis of rotation is horizontal -

Find distance (r) of the center of mass from the axis of rotation.
The torque required to overcome gravity in the worst position is T = mass * g * r

If the axis isn't horizontal, replace g with an in-the-plane-of-rotation component of mass*g

Thankyou, my rotational axis is horizontal.

Do I need to add the torque required to overcome gravity to the torque required to accelerate the mass in a circular motion though? Surely the speed that the mass rotates at affects the torque required by the motor shaft?

Thanks again

Robo3 said:
Do I need to add the torque required to overcome gravity to the torque required to accelerate the mass in a circular motion though? Surely the speed that the mass rotates at affects the torque required by the motor shaft?

Just add them for the worst cast (accelerating while lifting with the CoM 90degrees). But that'll tell you more torque than what's needed when the CoM goes over the other side and is being pushed down.

Speed doesn't affect the maximum torque caused by gravity or rotational inertia.

Related to Stuck with calculating torque needed for Robot servo motion

What is torque and why is it important in robot servo motion?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In robot servo motion, torque is important because it is what allows the servo to move and hold its position.

How do I calculate the torque needed for my robot servo motion?

The torque needed for robot servo motion can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance. First, determine the force needed to move the servo, then multiply it by the distance from the servo's center of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What factors affect the torque needed for robot servo motion?

The torque needed for robot servo motion can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the object being moved, the distance the object needs to be moved, and any external forces acting on the object.

Can I use a servo with a higher torque rating for my robot?

Yes, you can use a servo with a higher torque rating for your robot. However, it is important to make sure that the servo is compatible with your robot's power supply and control system.

What should I do if my robot servo is not providing enough torque?

If your robot servo is not providing enough torque, you can try increasing the voltage to the servo or using a servo with a higher torque rating. You can also check for any mechanical issues, such as loose connections or obstructions, that may be affecting the servo's performance.